2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Starting a Ginseng grow

Starting a Ginseng grow 10 years 3 months ago #27182

I am new to Wildgrow but am loving all of the advice. I am in Utah and would like to start a grow with 2 12' x 6' above ground boxes. any advice will be great-fully accepted as well as what kind of layering i should do for drainage what my soil ph should be. thanks in advance

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Starting a Ginseng grow 10 years 3 months ago #27183

Welcome Johnny83, if you key specific words into the search bar it will bring up all related threads pertaining to your questions. I would bet most questions you may have can be answered. So for soil PH just key in soil or soil ph in the search bar? It will bring up all the articles related to the soil. By the way soil ph should be between 5 to 6.5 ph. 5.5 is perfect. Calcium needs to be over 3000 ppa (pounds per acre). 6000 ppa is great.
Good luck,
latt

Re:Starting a Ginseng grow 10 years 3 months ago #27190

Thank you Latt i will do that.

Re:Starting a Ginseng grow 10 years 3 months ago #27195

Welcome, as Latt said you will find the answer to most any question searching through the forum. I also suggest that you read some of the books on ginseng by Scott Persons.
Good Luck.

Re:Starting a Ginseng grow 10 years 3 months ago #27197

Great suggestions guys!

I would also like to add the following suggestions and anyone with better ideas, please post them.

Personally, I would dig the ground plot where the above ground planting beds are to be placed, 2 to 4 inches deep and put a light (1/2 inch or so) layer of sand and small rocks. Once the planting bed frame is built, install it so that it has a downhill tilt to it to allow drainage of excess water from prolonged or heavy rain events. (You definitely do not want water to accumulate and stand for long periods in the planting beds as it can promote disease and fungus to the soil, the plants and to the water itself!) Drill 1\" to no more than 2\" holes about every 2 feet across the drain side (downhill) frame board (1\" to 2\" from the bottom of the board), cover the holes with 1/4\" to 3/8\" mesh wire on the inside of the board making sure to tack the wire to the board. After that cut some 2 to 3 foot long pvc pipe that is the same diameter as the holes and insert them into the holes from the outside of the board to drain excess water out of and away from the planting beds. Now, once the planting bed frame is installed with appropriate drainage holes and pipe, you can start filling the frame with recommended soils and materials. I may be wrong (and I hope someone will give their knowledge on this) but I believe that a mixture of composted Cow Manure and Gypsum to Top Soil at a ratio of 1 to 10, will be a great planting mixture to start. At this ratio, it should give the Ginseng what it needs to emerge and thrive at a crucial point in it's growth. You can then adjust or add other materials as suggested or the need arises. Just don't add fertilizers or other supplements as these will cause the Ginseng to take on cultivated characteristics. Others may recommend and you may want to use sprays and/or powders to control fungus, disease and insects during the 1st year of emergence and growth. I would also recommend erecting a wire (chicken or rabbit) mesh fence around the planting beds to keep most if not all animals out.

Last but not least, if there is not sufficient tree cover for the planting beds and Ginseng to protect them from direct sunlight during the late morning through the mid-afternoon, then you will have to erect some artificial shade panels. Ginseng needs some early morning and late afternoon sunshine but cannot tolerate too much direct sunshine outside of those times!

Frank

Re:Starting a Ginseng grow 10 years 3 months ago #27201

Some of Utah is pretty hot, yes? Are you living in that area of the state? Or favorite herb likes cool and shade....

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds

Who's Online

We have 348 guests and no members online

Login