2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Accepting orders for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Appearance of a transplanted rootet

Re:Appearance of a transplanted rootet 10 years 3 months ago #27380

Well, ,I'm talking about transplanting two year old roots. at the oldest, the population will be three year olds. Do you think this will damage the roots at this early age?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Appearance of a transplanted rootet 10 years 3 months ago #27381

Hey Whit, not to jump in on you and 5Prong's conversation but 2 and 3 year old roots transplant easily and successfully 99% of the time.

I wouldn't worry to much about taking surrounding dirt with them. I have on the other hand scooped up dirt in a bucket or large bag and sprinkled some in the trench that I am laying the rootlets in when transplanting larger and older roots.

Probably overkill tho and not really necessary assuming the soil that they are getting transplanted to is good soil.
Good luck,
Latt

Re:Appearance of a transplanted rootet 10 years 3 months ago #27382

Latt wrote:

Hey Whit, not to jump in on you and 5Prong's conversation but 2 and 3 year old roots transplant easily and successfully 99% of the time.

I wouldn't worry to much about taking surrounding dirt with them. I have on the other hand scooped up dirt in a bucket or large bag and sprinkled some in the trench that I am laying the rootlets in when transplanting larger and older roots.

Probably overkill tho and not really necessary assuming the soil that they are getting transplanted to is good soil.
Good luck,
Latt

I agree to a point! While it is not totally necessary to dig up the ball of soil that the roots are growing in, if the soil along with the roots can be dug up as one without overly disturbing the roots, then they will have a much greater chance of surviving. Since you are talking about 2 year olds and some 3 year old plants, it is doubtful that any of the roots have an extensive spread out root fiber system like a 5 to 10, 10 to 20 or 30 to 40 year old plant's root! You might dig down around a few of the roots to find out how widespread the roots are to determine the perimeter or diameter the hole should be for extraction. As long as you dig outside of that perimeter or diameter with the flower bulb tool for each of the roots, then you should be okay.

Frank

Re:Appearance of a transplanted rootet 10 years 3 months ago #27384

I was experimenting with garden carts last summer. bought three different types so see which was best on a mountainside. I can tell you that the standard old-style wheelbarrow just sucks on the mountainside. I found that anything with forward wheels and none in the rear isn't much better. so, I got a 4 wheeled cart with a closable lid [also serves as a seat]and pull handle that sorta looks like a really big kid's toy. This was the best on the mountainside.

Why is he telling us this... You may be asking...

When I transplant the small roots, I want to get enough to fill the cart, bring the cart over to where I am going to put them, and do it. The last cart is still clumsy on a mountainside, however the first two are funky madness to use on a mountainside.

While I'm sure that this borders on \"too much information\" for a lot of you, there you have it! LOL

Re:Appearance of a transplanted rootet 10 years 3 months ago #27392

It's okay Ray! I get the TMI chiding all of the time. LOL!!

I looked on the Tractor Supply Company's website while looking for a suitable cart to carry my' Gold prospecting equipment to my' secret spot and found these at the link below on sale. I thought that it was such a good deal, I bought the last two available within nearly 75 miles from me! After me and my' newbie Gold prospecting friends loaded it, pulled and pushed it over a half mile out an old Logging Road/Seeded Game Trail that had been rooted-up all to Hades by Wild Boar, then tried to get it 30 yards down an old Fire Break Trail, I realized that these carts while great for yard work, are not cut out for hauling Gold prospecting equipment.

www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/groundwor...art-1500-lb-capacity

Frank

Re:Appearance of a transplanted rootet 10 years 3 months ago #27394

I share you opinion, there isn't really an optimal cart for mountainsides.

Re:Appearance of a transplanted rootet 10 years 3 months ago #27404

Whitjr wrote:

I share you opinion, there isn't really an optimal cart for mountainsides.

Ray,

Actually, the one at the link that I provided in my previous post would work great if the frame was made from high tensile strength Aluminum and had taller & wider tires. As is, the cart is too heavy to pull up slopes with or without a load and it needs more of a stable stance which the taller and wider tires would give it. Also, if hauling big and heavy loads, the Poly bed needs to be reinforced with Aluminum or Steel strutting on the outside. I believe that a person could build one pretty easy if they have the equipment to weld Aluminum, have the time and a little money to spend. The wheel/tire mounting bar, would have to be reinforced and strutted if using Aluminum for this piece as well and probably should be reinforced a little even if using Steel.

Frank

Re:Appearance of a transplanted rootet 10 years 3 months ago #27548

I have decided that when I get to the transplantation work later thisnyear... I'm going to put specific beds in as to the ways they were transplanted. Might as well be careful about it. Leaving the objective in place as to appearance of the root...

1]use the bulb tool
2] use a spade, leaving surrounding soil intact
3] bare root the little guys, and plant carefully.

'course it'll be at least a year or two before I can ascertain the results, however growing our favorite herb makes us have patience...

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds

Who's Online

We have 162 guests and no members online

Login