2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: When to plant ginseng seeds

When to plant ginseng seeds 10 years 2 months ago #27267

I have recently ordered some ginseng seeds and I've read that I can plant them now and I've read where it says plant them in fall. The guy I ordered them from said I should be able to plant them as long as my ground isn't frozen and I cover them in a light coat of leaves or mulch. Is this ok? Just want a couple more opinions on it. These are stratified seeds.
Thanks, Brandy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:When to plant ginseng seeds 10 years 2 months ago #27269

That all sounds right. As long as you get the seeds in the ground before about March you should be fine. In the southern states ginseng usually starts coming up in the first to middle of April. Definitely get your seeds in the ground before then, or you may have a high mortality rate because of poor root system development before hot weather. I try to get them in the ground just before a hard freeze, that way the leaves act as some insulation above and if there is any frost heave to the ground that helps get better seed to soil contact. I think of it about like frost seeding clover.

Re:When to plant ginseng seeds 10 years 2 months ago #27270

Well said Mills,
One more thing Brandy, Make sure you do not knock the tails off the seed. I am sure there are small little sprouts or tails coming out of your seed. When you plant them make sure you do not break these off.
Latt

Re:When to plant ginseng seeds 10 years 2 months ago #27273

Thanks guys! I appreciate your help so much. One question I have to Latt. About the seeds having tails someone had told my husband that if the seeds have tails then we may as well throw them away? I'm now assuming that isn't true? We should receive the seeds Monday or Tuesday.
Thanks again. All your help is really appreciated.
Brandy

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds

Who's Online

We have 246 guests and no members online

Login