2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Seeing what growing ginseng looks like in the Wintertime

Seeing what growing ginseng looks like in the Wintertime 10 years 2 months ago #27298

Fellows.
It's pretty dull on the board in the winter and I thought that I would take the opportunity to show where my plans are going for the coming season and a few years to come. The snow provided a real good chance to give an eye view of how things are progressing and where I want to try to take them in the future. It will help break the monotony of winter and maybe give some others a few ideas.

Hugh

http://www.smokymountainflyguide.com/Choosing%20places%20to%20grow%20ginseng2.htm

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Seeing what growing ginseng looks like in the Wintertime 10 years 2 months ago #27305

Looks nice, Hugh. 2 acres close by is a good amount. Having it close by ... Maybe you can keep the Applacian Outlaws away!

Re:Seeing what growing ginseng looks like in the Wintertime 10 years 2 months ago #27307

Thanks Whitjr,

Those sections with mature timber look a lot different in the summer when you see rows of 3prongs and 4 prongs running from one end of the lot to the other. It's getting awfully close to digging time in there , but I don't know if I can make myself do it or not. They're beautiful to look at while their growing in the summer. The man who lives there keeps his squirrel rifle handy all the time and there are dogs all the way around to let us know if anything is amiss. Maybe I can learn more tonight when I watch Appalachian Outlaws to help keep the poachers out. I might learn how to blow up a vehicle if I watch closely:woohoo:

Hugh

Re:Seeing what growing ginseng looks like in the Wintertime 10 years 2 months ago #27311

Yea that shows a joke defly was expecting a lot more out of the show besides a bunch of fighting

Re:Seeing what growing ginseng looks like in the Wintertime 10 years 2 months ago #27312

Yea that shows a joke defly was expecting a lot more out of the show besides a bunch of fighting

Re:Seeing what growing ginseng looks like in the Wintertime 10 years 2 months ago #27324

I like to see where the last bit of snow still lingers in the hollars once it warms up. These are good starting points for finding and growing sang. I like your pictures Hugh and those are some looking locations.

Re:Seeing what growing ginseng looks like in the Wintertime 10 years 2 months ago #27328

Thanks Hunter,
The snow is melting off here this afternoon and when I had to run out to the bank a while ago I took notice of how it is doing around this location. I wish I could get out into the mountains , but it would take some serious traction and high wheel base in East Tn. right now to get around at any elevation. I told my wife yesterday that the snow is probably a foot deep or more in the last areas that we planted in this winter. We've just not seen any strong winters in 20 plus years here.
Hugh

Re:Seeing what growing ginseng looks like in the Wintertime 10 years 2 months ago #27334

That's a great bit of advice Hunter, I'll put it to use this spring. My slope faces dead north, and I often struggle with where to plant next. Thanks

Re:Seeing what growing ginseng looks like in the Wintertime 10 years 2 months ago #27352

The snow also helps to really understand the terrain of the land from a distance and old logging roads stick out like a sore thumb. I really like looking for sang below these road beds.

On this last snow fall we had, the snow came from the south east so the trees are darker on the northern side where it was shielded. So, with this bit of information you can figure out where your northern faceing slopes are... incase one can't read a compass or their internal compass doesn't work. :blink:

Re:Seeing what growing ginseng looks like in the Wintertime 10 years 2 months ago #27368

Welcome to the forum, RPDGrump!

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds

Who's Online

We have 228 guests and no members online

Login