2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: working on the sang patch... some what...

working on the sang patch... some what... 10 years 2 months ago #27353

I've been working on my ginseng patch some. This sorry devil and 2 buddies have been destroying my patch at the house.

At least this one won't be rooting up anything any more.

I've also been dumping my stove ashes on the ground in my patch. I'm not sure if it has any benefit but, I don't see it hurting anything either.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:working on the sang patch... some what... 10 years 2 months ago #27354

Interesting Hunter.
If you spread the stove ashes make sure you spread them very thinly and evenly. Too much stove ash can be a problem in changing the soil as well as affecting the root taste.
What time we having bacon and eggs? lol That's a wopper!!
Latt

Re:working on the sang patch... some what... 10 years 2 months ago #27355

Hunter,
That is some serious ginseng trouble. Your making me wonder what area you live in because we saw some signs in the mountains where we hunted and planted ginseng this Fall. The Game Warden said there were not any on that mountain that he knew of,but...? You could sure kiss a ginseng patch goodbye if you had several of those close by working it. Did you get it in the day time? That is a very hard critter to walk up on when you're hunting. That dude looks like he may have been an 8 prong :lol:

Hugh

Re:working on the sang patch... some what... 10 years 2 months ago #27357

Hunter,

Congrats of eliminating a problem critter for most crops and especially so for Ginseng!

On another note, while Latt eluded to too much wood ashes affecting the taste of the Ginseng roots, there is a whole other problem concerning the over use of wood ashes on Ginseng crops. Check out the link below for more information and plan accordingly.

www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/woodash.html

Good luck!

Frank

Re:working on the sang patch... some what... 10 years 2 months ago #27359

Hugh, I live near Vonore TN. I've met you before on the Middle prong once while fly fishing and again at Little River Outfitters but, that's been several years ago. You also netted a big brown for my dad on the South Holsten once... because he never carries a net. I shot that hog right at dark the night after our snow. 2 came in and I shot this one and the other one, a big boar, ran straight at me but, I missed it because my darned scope fogged up after the first shot.

A shallow growing sang doesn't stand a chance against these vermin. I'm pretty sure they actually eat the root too because if they were just rooting them up looking for grubs I should find the roots but, I never do. They also break off the necks on deeper roots that they don't actually get rooted up.

Their also in my hay field and I have to change the knives on my mowing machine everytime after I finish mowing it. I break the \"fingers\" off my rake all the time and it's a matter of time before it causes major damage to my $30,000 baler that I honestly can't afford to replace. I try to work around the damage but, it gets so bad that I won't have enough hay to do me if I don't cut it. When I do disk it and resow it they come back in droves. Freshly turned dirt to a hog must smell like a BBQ grill to us.

Frank, I've just been slinging the ashes over a big area. I don't think I've put enough on the soil to really make a big diffrence but, it still makes me feel like I'm doing \"something\" if you know what I mean. Thanks for that info tho. I didn't know all that.

Re:working on the sang patch... some what... 10 years 2 months ago #27360

Oh, and Latt. The wife fried up some chops in bear lard that we rendarded and made \"cat head\" biscuits. Those were some AWESOME pork chop biscuits. She had to make more for the boys.

Re:working on the sang patch... some what... 10 years 2 months ago #27361

Man Alive Hunter!

You have got a serious problem. I don't know what kind of fence would stop an animal as large and as aggressive as a wild Boar. You may have to contact \"Ross\"
on Appalachian Outlaws and get some of his landmines :laugh: That situation is even dangerous with a high powered rifle if there is more than one, like you mentioned. This is a problem that others are going to encounter as time moves along and I'm sure they will want to hear more from you and how you handle a real serious threat to your farming ambitions. Good luck with it.

Hugh

Re:working on the sang patch... some what... 10 years 2 months ago #27367

Nice shot, Hunter! I'd love to get one myself, however am glad that there's not any evidence of them where we are growing our 'sang.

Dat's a bunch'o Bacon!

Did you weigh that beast? I'm guessing at least 400 lb.s.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds

Who's Online

We have 217 guests and no members online

Login