2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Planting ginseng under black walnut trees

Planting ginseng under black walnut trees 14 years 6 months ago #2777

• Steve
  • Steve's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi everyone! I have recieved ginseng seeds and rootlets from wildgrown.com, and am planting in various locations. I have a small black walnut grove and not much likes to grow there. What do you think about ginseng, does it take to that rich soil under the black walnuts??

Any suggestions or comments will be highly appreciated! Thanks much!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Planting ginseng under black walnut trees 14 years 6 months ago #2780

Hi Steve, I would think seng would grow there but, I have not tried to grow any under Walnut trees myself. As you said, a lot of things do not grow well around Walnut because of the chemicals put off by the tree. Most of the Walnut on my place is in areas too wet for seng so, my experience with growing under them is nil. Maybe someone will chime in with a better take on this.

Re:Planting ginseng under black walnut trees 14 years 6 months ago #2782

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
I have never tryed to grow them around the walnut tree either,but I have dug them around them in the woods this before,still I am not able to help much here...

Re:Planting ginseng under black walnut trees 14 years 6 months ago #2791

Steve
Ginseng grows excellent under black walnut. I look for maiden hair fern, spikenard and black walnut in a maple forest, if ya find that your worries are over.
Black walnut is in the same family as butternut, bitternut and shagbark hickory. They all have the same results.

Guy

Re:Planting ginseng under black walnut trees 14 years 6 months ago #2795

Guy is right, I have had good luck growing ginseng under black walnut trees. The area I plant in has about 50 percent walnut trees. I have read that black walnut leaves have a lot of calcium, the same as sugar maple and poplar, which is good for ginseng.Good Luck

Re:Planting ginseng under black walnut trees 14 years 4 months ago #3178

• Tanner
  • Tanner's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Yup, Here in Ohio if you see a good forest grown black walnut in a decent ginseng habitat, you plant all around it. Black walnuts typically grow in soils with deep, rich profiles.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds

Who's Online

We have 75 guests and no members online

Login