2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fernery

Re:Fernery 9 years 10 months ago #28519

First yr close up in raised beds taken 3 nights ago.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Fernery 9 years 10 months ago #28520

Raised beds. These are 6ft on center with a 10-15inch crown.
Attachments:

Re:Fernery 9 years 10 months ago #28521

This shows some beds to left and right of road.
Attachments:

Re:Fernery 9 years 10 months ago #28528

Part of the area I planted for my wild sim last fall looks like that. I don't weed or fertilize and the emergence rate in the area is pretty low, 25% maybe. It's hard to tell though because of all the ferns ;) The best emergence seems to come from areas that already have small herbal plants.

Re:Fernery 9 years 10 months ago #28529

Some fern species are know to be allelopathic, meaning that they deter other plants from growing by excreting chemicals through their roots. Thats why scattered ferns are fine, but dense growth tends to be problematic.

Re:Fernery 9 years 10 months ago #28531

Thanks for all of your perspectives on this. By the way, WV your plants look great! Maybe I should do a few beds like that.

I think we all are trying to find the ideal between completely wild approach with low cost and minimal work (and letting nature destroy most of what we plant and very slow root growth rate) versus a more intensive cultivated approach (with more effort, expense, and constant guard against fungal disease, deer, etc).

I'll try to find a happy medium. thanks, again

Re:Fernery 9 years 10 months ago #28532

Yeah the more wild you go the more die (although the more the roots are worth), but the easier it is to do. I went as wild as possible, but I drew the line at letting the deer eat them in the spring. I put up a ton of barbed wire after some deer came through and ate like a 1000 sq/ft of sprouts before they had a chance.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds

Who's Online

We have 554 guests and no members online

Login