2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: A look at the earliest ripening ginseng berries

Re:A look at the earliest ripening ginseng berries 9 years 10 months ago #28784

Mike Lee has prompt shipping to your schedule, and good count to the pound.

'Course we all have to say that cause he owns the website and will cut us off if we don't... JUST KIDDING...

Mike here at wildgrown is very reputable.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:A look at the earliest ripening ginseng berries 9 years 10 months ago #28791

Loggy77,
Wow, that's a lot of seed. I wish you the best with it. I have planted up to 30 lbs in one season. Planted it in various spots throughout Ohio. Had various results, some good and some not so good.

I think if you plant that much you will need to talk to someone about spraying. If you plant that much \"Wild Simulated\" without spraying, then I think you will be disappointed over time as a large portion of it will diminish over the years.

64 lbs of seed is a big investment, especially with the current prices of seed.

Some would recommend starting off a bit slower with less seed. They may be right. However, if you have the room for it and are prepared for a lot of it to die over the next 10 years then I say go for it.

If you choose to plant that much and are willing to spray, then you will have a boatload of seed in the next decade.

I have a link below and go to photo's tab, then click on page 8. It shows some pics of 5 year old ginseng at \"Walnut Meadows\". Results like this come from spraying plants. It will not happen if left to mother nature.

www.wmginseng.com/

Either way you go is fine. Just know what to expect.

Not trying to tell you what to do or not to do. Just trying to help a fella out that is getting ready to buy a lot of seed for a lot of $$$$$$.

Good luck,
Latt

Re:A look at the earliest ripening ginseng berries 9 years 10 months ago #28792

Thanks Latt. Only half of that seed is going on my farm. And yes I expecting a big loss of plants. I'm hoping to harvest at 7 to 8 years, and keeping my plants thinned out at 2 feet apart. Spraying is going to be a emergency option only, I want to keep it wild as possible. I'll be planting in 4 x 30 beds spaced apart. I'm hoping 40% survive. Now, I have a lot of wild ginseng on my property that I've been planting the wild berries for a few years. My question is what to do with it because it's where I want to plant my beds. Should I transplant it elsewhere? Or leave it in my beds? Maybe close to 500 plants to transplant. I may harvest some this fall. Thanks

Re:A look at the earliest ripening ginseng berries 9 years 10 months ago #28812

I would just leave the wild ones where they are at.
Good luck,
LAtt

Re:A look at the earliest ripening ginseng berries 9 years 7 months ago #32043

Hey Hugh and others that have some early ripening berries...

I subscribed to this youtube channel a while back and was just watching it from my TV and ran across this video.

He has a nice 4 prong that ripens berries early.. and has found that berries planted that early will sprout the next spring.

He said if you try to stratify seeds from those early ripening berries... that it will not work and the seeds will fail.

Thought you might find this interesting.

TNhunter

Re:A look at the earliest ripening ginseng berries 9 years 7 months ago #32045

Pretty cool TN.
Im going to try it and see if it works, not sure with mine if it's genetics or a difference in the environment from the home of the parent plant of the seed.Thanks for turning me on to this channel, Ill be sure to subscribe as well.

Hillhopper

Re:A look at the earliest ripening ginseng berries 9 years 7 months ago #32059

TnHunter,

Thank you for letting us know about this video. This is extremely important information for a grower. I had mentioned in an earlier post that I thought I was seeing this happen from plantings that I had done a few years ago. These seeds were coming from Minnesota and who knows where originally. This is a new factor that could change the whole ball game by cutting a full year off of growing time. I sure planted a bunch of them this summer and I will be watching closely to see if this takes place. Thanks again for the heads up about this phenomenon.

Hugh

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds

Who's Online

We have 96 guests and no members online

Login