2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: The time has arrived here in East Tennessee

Re:The time has arrived here in East Tennessee 9 years 9 months ago #29100

rpdgrump,
Last year was the first time that my wild plants had berries on them and I placed them into a stratification box. I started to take them out awhile ago when I pulled these berries and I changed my mind. I think I'll wait until August and see how wet it is. If we continue to have some rain I'll plant them at my house with the other wild plants and hope for more wild babies next Spring.

I love that deep scarlet stage that your berries are at right now. Good luck with your new plantings.

Hugh

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:The time has arrived here in East Tennessee 9 years 9 months ago #29186

When you are planting the berries, do you just plant the berry whole, right in the ground? I remember reading somewhere that they have a higher survival rate if you squeeze the berry, releasing the 2 seeds inside to plant about a foot apart from each other.

Re:The time has arrived here in East Tennessee 9 years 9 months ago #29192

Mortis,
I have planted berries whole for several years, but I have not squeezed the seeds out of any to plant like that. I have had a few, on occasions, to get mashed while I was carrying them and I just planted them in the ground as if they were whole berries. I can't tell you if there is any better success one way or another. My thinking was ,especially where I live, that the berry pod might provide a little more moisture to carry the seeds through a dry spell. For these early ripening seeds, two summers in the ground is a long time and I've had them to dry out before. That is the main reason that I take them to the mountains. Maybe someone else can give some insight on this.

Hugh

Re:The time has arrived here in East Tennessee 9 years 9 months ago #29193

I agree with Hugh in that the berry provides moisture not to mention it's own fertilizer. The berries have nutrients that help the seed along I believe. I stick my finger in the ground just short of my first knuckle , drop a berry into that hole and lightly pat the soil over it and make sure to cover it with leaves. I've gotten good results from planting this way. I guess a squirrel or chipmunk could find them, They're always looking to dig up a free meal that their neighbor buried.

Re:The time has arrived here in East Tennessee 9 years 9 months ago #29396

The time has arrived here in NY. Went out to blant the seeds that were given to me in the area where my wild transplants are. So I had to go look and BAM RED BERRIES !!!!
Attachments:

Re:The time has arrived here in East Tennessee 9 years 9 months ago #29397

Attachments:

Re:The time has arrived here in East Tennessee 9 years 9 months ago #29398

8 in total so far
Attachments:

Re:The time has arrived here in East Tennessee 9 years 9 months ago #29400

Hobbler,
That will sure get your blood up. Congratulations man! It looks like your in business. I just got back from doing another planting and I saw the first berries starting to turn at High Elevation. It won't be long now.

Hugh

Re:The time has arrived here in East Tennessee 9 years 9 months ago #29411

Berries were ripe here in north Georgia in late July. I've noticed over the years that it holds pretty much to that time fame with the last berries turning red in the first week of August.
Attachments:

Re:The time has arrived here in East Tennessee 9 years 9 months ago #29412

natureflixs,
Nice picture. Thanks for sharing. If you get a chance to take any of fully ripe seed pods as we come toward the end of the month, we would surely like to see them. We'll try to do the same.

Hugh

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds

Who's Online

We have 413 guests and no members online

Login