2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Season is progressing

Season is progressing 9 years 8 months ago #29772

This thread is a pictures and an information thread. You will see how the season has moved along to the point that many plants are turning and going down. You will also see how we are about a month ahead of what the normal season usually turns out. Let's see how this compares to other areas. Chime in with your pictures.
Many of the smaller to medium sized plants are yellow.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Season is progressing 9 years 8 months ago #29773

You can see in this one how larger plants that are deeper rooted are still green.
Attachments:

Re:Season is progressing 9 years 8 months ago #29774

Here is a bed of 6 year old Wildgrown Rootlets that I have finished picking the berries from that are still mostly green.

Just to the right of it is a 4 year old bed of Rake and Scatter. I'll stop for a while and let others join in with pics.
Hugh
Attachments:

Re:Season is progressing 9 years 8 months ago #29781

Hugh
Those plants are coming along mighty fine! A few more years and you can dig that trip to Tahiti right out of the ground:woohoo:
If I had any new pics to post I would, maybe in a day or so Ill go take a few more. Some of my plants are definitely having a late Sept or early Oct look to them. Red outside edges fading to yellow centers, a strange year indeed.

Hillhopper

Re:Season is progressing 9 years 8 months ago #29785

Hillhopper wrote:

Hugh
Those plants are coming along mighty fine! A few more years and you can dig that trip to Tahiti right out of the ground:woohoo:
If I had any new pics to post I would, maybe in a day or so Ill go take a few more. Some of my plants are definitely having a late Sept or early Oct look to them. Red outside edges fading to yellow centers, a strange year indeed.

Hillhopper

I could be wrong but I believe that the early yellowing for some plants and definitely the plants growing in locations from Kentucky and Central West Virginia and Virginia Southward may be suffering a depletion of Calcium and/or Magnesium due to all of the rains this year and especially so, the rains from mid-July to Present. They also have the appearance that this is the case as they don't have the appearance of plants yellowing due to normal end of growing season die down! The addition of some Gypsum and Epsom Salt with continued rains, could see them perk back up a bit before the actual die down should or will occurr.

Frank

Re:Season is progressing 9 years 8 months ago #29787

Latt,

In case you've wondered about your adopted step children?/ This is how they are looking.
Attachments:

Re:Season is progressing 9 years 8 months ago #29788

They are doing fine.
Attachments:

Re:Season is progressing 9 years 8 months ago #29789

Billy's plants are looking fine as well. They are just ripening about a month or more early. They got about 1-1/2 inches of rain last night.
Attachments:

Re:Season is progressing 9 years 8 months ago #29794

Interesting Hugh,
I was wondering how those little roots were doing. I dug a few up the other day and man are they still tiny. I am not sure if they are ever going to get any bigger in that one spot of mine. They are healthy and producing some berries but the plant tops and roots are so tiny.
Looks like they are doing a little better down there in your soil. I have one spot in the larger area I planted that the deer are not munching on for some reason and I bet I have 10 to 20 plants per square foot in an area about 25 foot by 15 foot. I may dig them up this fall and transplant them somewhere else. Now in the larger area the deer are eating everything in site including the leaves and the berries. Not sure why they left this small corner alone. Wish I knew why so I could do something about it.
Thanks,
Latt

Re:Season is progressing 9 years 8 months ago #29796

Latt,
I worked the ground up to loosen it where I was going to plant these and added Gypsum. The roots responded nicely and I believe that by the time they are 8 years old they will be as nice as any that I have. I'm pleased with the results.
Hugh

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds

Who's Online

We have 402 guests and no members online

Login