2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Planted 2000 Seeds Over the Weekend

Planted 2000 Seeds Over the Weekend 9 years 7 months ago #29891

Hi,

I wanted to share my first ginseng planting experience with everyone who was kind enough to share their wisdom and experience with me.

It was in the 80's on Saturday in Central Wisconsin. The dew point was at 78 and it was pouring rain on and off. I had driven up the night before from Illinois so I could plant over the weekend. I picked up my seeds early on Saturday morning and was in the woods by 8:30. It was about a mile walk to where I was going to plant. I was soaking wet within 10 minutes of leaving the house. As I walked off the flat area down the side of the hill I slipped in the wet grass and tumbled about 15 feet down the hill before grabbing a tree to stop me. Now I was soaking wet and covered in mud. I thought wearing shorts would be a good idea with the heat - until I realized I had to walk through the thistle bushes to get to my planting spot. Painfully I dragged myself through the thistles while the barbs raked my legs bloody. Upon reaching my designation I assessed myself and was now bloody, muddy and soaked. I pulled out my can of Deep Woods Off and sprayed away - the pain of the spray on my bloody sores made my eyes water and the woods was flooded with my cussing. I stood on the incline and started raking leaves away and that is when the swarms of mosquitoes attacked. I swear I heard them laughing as they chewed through the bug spray and bit me freely while the females whined in my ears.

For the next 8 hours it was me at war with the danged slippery hill, the mud, the rain and the bugs. Around 5:30 that afternoon I was exhausted. I trudged my sorry bloody, muddy, bug bit and soaked carcass back to the house. 2 hours later I was asleep.

Sunday wasn't a lot better but I finished planting everyone one of those 2000 seeds. Now I can try to improve my relationship with every God who watches over farmers and pray when Spring comes around that my ginseng seeds come up. I hope you enjoyed my first planting season and story. I can't wait until the next time. :)

Doug

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Planted 2000 Seeds Over the Weekend 9 years 7 months ago #29894

Great story Doug. I hope your trials and tribulations pay handsomely in the future.
Redbeard

Re:Planted 2000 Seeds Over the Weekend 9 years 7 months ago #29897

this is so typical of the way things always go for me too seems like it's going to be easy then you realize you can't even get out of the gate and you're having all these problems keep going I hope it works out for you I'm sure that will be the worst of it

Re:Planted 2000 Seeds Over the Weekend 9 years 7 months ago #29899

Good luck with that poison ivy! :ohmy: Hope you get many big roots from your efforts.

Re:Planted 2000 Seeds Over the Weekend 9 years 7 months ago #29901

kchacha wrote:

Good luck with that poison ivy! :ohmy: Hope you get many big roots from your efforts.

hahahhahahahah

Good luck Doug, this is a strange hobby we all share in. We all willingly go through what you described every season, and then label it as a \"fun day in the woods\".

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds

Who's Online

We have 575 guests and no members online

Login