2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: ph level

ph level 9 years 7 months ago #29895

hi everyone I got my soil test back and the pH level of my land is 4.7 do you think I should add some palletized lime to the soil to try to raise the pH and allow the plants to take more nutrients.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:ph level 9 years 7 months ago #29912

To raise pH, normally you would be adding lime of some sort and working it in. If you are planning to plant wild sim, I'd hesitate to do much of anything. If ginseng is growing and healthy, I'd not add anything. What was your calcium and magnizium counts?

Re:ph level 9 years 7 months ago #29913

thank you for the reply I am anxious to get this information calcium is at 685 pounds available per acre magnesium is at 69.

Re:ph level 9 years 7 months ago #29916

vthunter wrote:

thank you for the reply I am anxious to get this information calcium is at 685 pounds available per acre magnesium is at 69.

While I am not very knowledgeable about mineral levels in soil and especially so for growing Ginseng, I do research a lot to topics and read. From what I have read, the Magnesium levels in the soil you want to plant Ginseng on is way too low and almost 10 to 1 (10:1) Calcium over Magnesium. I believe the it should be more in the range of 6 to 1 (6:1) Calcium over Magnesium. I had recommended using Dolomite but after reading further, it appears that Dolomite can do more harm than good. Hopefully, Brad will have some information on what to use and if Dolomite can be used or not.

Frank

Re:ph level 9 years 7 months ago #29920

Well, most folks will tell you that your calcium seems very low for ginseng....and it does. However, that info came from one of Bob Beyfuss' studies in which he cataloged soil from areas of healthy wild ginseng patches. Often, he was seeing very low pH and very high calcium. Acidity as low as yours was not extremely rare, but the calcium was often over 2000 lbs/acre with figures double that less common. (I'm repeating this from memory as I don't have time to look it up at the moment. So if someone wants to correct me, or Bob, if you wish to chime in..please do)

Here is the kicker that is often forgotten...both Bob and Jim Corbin doing similar studies found a correlation between calcium and magnesium. Both researchers found calcium and magnesium in a 10:1 ratio in soils where healthy populations of wild ginseng grew. If you change that balance, you risk changing the basic chemical structure of your soil and making other things (such as nitrogen) available which causes other issues.

Since your calcium/magnesium levels are dead on that 10:1 ratio, I think I'd stand by and see what happens your first year with some test plots. Additionally, it might take years to significantly change the pH of your soil.

Re:ph level 9 years 7 months ago #29923

thank you so much for the replies considering I have a healthy patch of wild ginseng that is multiplying on the site I may be best to leave nature to itself and try to grow in the conditions that I have. can calcium be added after seeds have started their growth say in the spring after the snow melts.

Re:ph level 9 years 7 months ago #29928

I've experimented with gypsum (adding calcium without raising the pH) and have mixed results in doing so. I'll not add gypsum again without specific indications that I should, and never if my calcium/magnisium levels are close to that 10:1 ratio.

Yes, you can add calcium (gypsum) later. However, you risk the issues we discussed earlier.

Re:ph level 9 years 7 months ago #29938

thanks guys for all the great information it looks like as with most things that have to do with ginseng it is site specific and I will have to try to figure it out myself over time. ginseng on my property grows very slowly I think it may be because the shade is to thick. I might try to cut a tree or two letting more Morning Sun in maybe that will help speed things up

Re:ph level 9 years 7 months ago #29940

vthunter wrote:

thanks guys for all the great information it looks like as with most things that have to do with ginseng it is site specific and I will have to try to figure it out myself over time. ginseng on my property grows very slowly I think it may be because the shade is to thick. I might try to cut a tree or two letting more Morning Sun in maybe that will help speed things up

Although the lack of enough sun could have something to do with the slow growth of your' Ginseng, quite often it is a lack of Magnesium and possibly other minerals. While Brad may be correct about the 10:1 ratio of Calcium to Magnesium being okay, I just feel at 69 pounds per acre, the Magnesium levels are a little too low. Magnesium spurs root, stem and leaf growth and is needed in the plants for the Photosynthesis to occur. Plants lacking in Magnesium usually have small roots, small and thin stems and smaller leaf structure that often tends to yellow towards the outer edges first then migrate towards the center. This is especially seen when there has been an over abundance of rain which can cause Magnesium and Calcium washout in the soil.

Adding supplements to the soil ever 3, 6 or 12 months can be very costly, so you may want to look into plants that can be grown around the Ginseng that will provide the minerals and nutrients needed once they die off or their' tops die off and decay.

Frank

Re:ph level 9 years 6 months ago #29947

thanks Frank that sounds like a great idea I have ordered my seeds and I will let you guys know how the progress goes thank you

Mike

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds

Who's Online

We have 357 guests and no members online

Login