2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: stratified seed

stratified seed 9 years 6 months ago #30179

any input would be appreciated,
we planted 2# of seed purchased from this web site 2 yrs ago.some of it was planted around existing 3 and 4 prong plants.in the large bed 80 ft.x 50 ft.i only found 4 young plants.(im not discrediting this site or its seed).all the mature plants are doing great, with good berry tops and stem size but no new babies.and yes we preped the area like we do any other time. we had ample rain, and a cooler than normal summer.we floated the seed prior to planting,etc.etc. im not sure why plant beries will take off and stratified seed wont?
thanks
ei.digger

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:stratified seed 9 years 6 months ago #30207

eidigger,
Very sorry to hear of your bad misfortune with the stratified seed. Several of us on the board have had problems in the past with mishandling seed after it arrives. To start off with , I really don't believe there is any thing wrong with the seed. I think the problem comes from what we do with the seed after it arrives. As we have done on a few other occasions, let's try to go back in time and see if you can remember what you did the day the seed came in the mail. Where did you place the seed? How long was it there before you planted it. What method of planting did you use? Did you cover the seed properly when you planted it? Those are some things to consider and we'll see if we can find a culprit.
Hugh

Re:stratified seed 9 years 6 months ago #30214

Hugh is dead on. Refrigeration seemingly is one of the major issues with delayed germination, and another is drought (less than ample rain at the right times).

Of course, also consider that ginseng is a perennial plant and perennial plants in general have very complex dormancies. Sometimes they don't come up the first year apparently just because they don't want to.

Let me give you a personal experience. Two years ago I moved to this place. It was late in the year by the time I got my new beds in for the seedlings I sell. Viability in the seed was lower than normal (75% and 80% in two lots...normally around 95%), so I planted especially thickly. Well, I have to say they all came up. ...at least it seemed that way.

Because the babies were as thick as grass, when we dug we created clear cuts of sorts all the way across the middle of the beds to create a sort of disease break. Well, imagine my surprise when I looked at those beds this spring and the clear areas had seedlings coming up in them as if I had intentional replanted them last fall.

Clearly there was nothing wrong with the seed or its handling, or the weather conditions last spring. Yet, a percentage of the seed delayed germination until this spring.

So in the end, don't get discouraged. You might be pleasantly surprised next spring. All part of making ginseng a wonderfully intriguing plant.

Re:stratified seed 9 years 6 months ago #30264

I've had a similar experience in the past, but discovered that the seeds did germinate, but slug ate them off as fast as they sprouted! Sluggo has helped tremendously!

Re:stratified seed 9 years 6 months ago #30267

Brad I have never had any problems with refrigerating my seeds, they have always came up the next spring. That is strange how the seeds sometimes do that.

Re:stratified seed 9 years 6 months ago #30278

wow thanks for all of the input.i will try to answer the best i can.
the seed was taken out of the shipping box imiedatly and placed in the frig.
the beds were prepared with 3 methods all were cleared of debris,and unwanted vegatation. the large 50x80 was hand raked about 1 1/2\" deep and planted in rows 16\" apart, then recovered with the leaves i removed.
the next bed was preped the same but tilled(blew up moma\"s tiller) but ibought her a new one LOL.it too was planted in rows, and recovered.
the 3rd. bed prepaired the same as the first one by hand raking.this time i use the rake and scatter method, and finished the same by covering with leaves.
i wanted to try all three methods to see witch worked out the best.
back to the seed,it was planted within a week of when we got it,if it wasnt in my backpac on the way to be planted.it was in the frig.i made it a point to shake and turn the bags every day.i dont think the frig. is to cold because my keystone lite doesnt hurt my throat when i take a sip.
thanks for all your help.
kevin
eidigger

Re:stratified seed 9 years 6 months ago #30279

i knew would forget something
you guys raise a good questoin.
soil moisture, how much,and when.
last year was dryer than norm.this year wetter than norm.im not apposed to irragating.but i dont want to create more problems.when the other mature plants are doing well.my avitar is one of those plants
thanks again
kevin
eidigger

Re:stratified seed 9 years 6 months ago #30280

Kevin,
The first thing you said about placing the seed in the refrigerator really sets bells and whistles off. Early on I went through the same problem 2-3 times because many sources were saying to store seeds in the refrigerator at that time. I even documented the plantings on video to show how the cold was damaging the germination as time passed from the first plantings to about a week later. By the time I got to the end of the week, nothing came up. I'm going to be honest with you about what to expect from what you planted. You will not see any more come up and it would be best to just plant over again if you are looking for success. I know that a few on the board have said they stored their seeds in a frig and they came up just fine. That may be so, but my advise would be to never place them in a cold place before planting. If you have to, dig a hole in the ground and place them in there with cover to protect them. At least you won't have the same problem again.

Hugh

Re:stratified seed 9 years 6 months ago #30282

thanks hugh
can you email me your contact info to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
thanks
kvin

Re:stratified seed 9 years 6 months ago #30283

Ginseng is a finicky plant. It requires two cold seasons with an intervening warm season in order to send out shoots ij its second warm period. Stratification meets half the seasonal requirrments by providing a safe environment for one cold and one warm period. It seems that inducing a cold period of too short a duration (refridgeration) and another warm period (planting) also of short duration, the seed often enters dormancy. To break dormancy another period of cold/warm/cold is needed to get the genetic regulator back in sync.
JMO

Good luck

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds

Who's Online

We have 499 guests and no members online

Login