2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Magic Formula for growing ginseng

Re:Magic Formula for growing ginseng 9 years 6 months ago #30404

I had read some where that deer do not like Black cohosh, I planted a \"perimeter\" around where I have my seng beds behind my house. I do have deer, not a lot but they have left my seng alone. I think it is due to the black cohosh around the beds. I hope this helps. Planting it around my beds wasn't so bad with the set up that I have. I have about a half acre across a creek behind me and lining the property edges with the cohosh wasn't to bad. Bigger areas I can see being a pain to plant around and diggers looking for the cohosh would be drawn to that and then find the seng beds.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Magic Formula for growing ginseng 9 years 6 months ago #30432

Thanks for all of your replies guys. Appreciate it. You have all made some great points and some of you are pretty slick wit the pen and had me LMAO.
Latt

Re:Magic Formula for growing ginseng 9 years 6 months ago #30730

My strategy is barbed wire. The deer occasionally get over it but it has reduced their number in my planted area a lot. Doesn't keep out the turkeys that well though.

Re:Magic Formula for growing ginseng 9 years 6 months ago #30739

15 years growing in ohio, deer definitely the biggest problem. We've been able to obtain nuisance permits from the state in years past, allowing the harvest of deer out of season. Something to consider if you have the time to hunt. If our roots can make it to 5 years, I find that they can survive repeated browsing.

In a normal year here, the deer have eaten half of our plants by mid June. By the time we are digging they have browsed about 80 percent of the plants. I am often digging stems. This also makes for very small 15-year old roots.

I think the Deer here have developed more of a taste for ginseng over the time we have been growing. It is now a preferred food source for the local herd.

I have experimented with running 100# test fishing line around major planting sites and this seems to help. When the deer walk into it it discourages them. Also they won't typically put their heads through downed tree tops or brush. Planting under downed tops or putting woody brush over your plants is a good way to protect them.

Don't give up, the plants will come back even if they have to take a couple of years \"off\" after being browsed. We're just making the deer \"medicinal\" and need to eat more of them.

Re:Magic Formula for growing ginseng 9 years 6 months ago #30740

Hey Woodlandwise,
Glad to hear from you. Sure sounds familiar to me. Thanks for the tips and you as well Ittiz.
Just good to hear different things that are working somewhat.
Thanks,
Latt

Re:Magic Formula for growing ginseng 9 years 6 months ago #30751

Make friends with the local barber. Human hair scattered around the plots and stuffed into small burlap sacks along with a few scented dryer sheets hung from branches does wonders for deer problems.

Good luck

Re:Magic Formula for growing ginseng 9 years 6 months ago #30768

Latt,
I just wrote you a book about this, then i erased it, so i could put it in my book.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds

Who's Online

We have 169 guests and no members online

Login