2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Planting Seed Question

Planting Seed Question 9 years 7 months ago #30383

Hey guys just a quick question I got the opportunity to get 1lb of seed on Saturday would it be ok to plant this weekend? Also should I do the float test in water if so how does a guy go about this?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Planting Seed Question 9 years 7 months ago #30853

Yes if you get seed, you can plant right away. This is the time of year the seng berries are falling and planting themselves, so it is the perfect time to put seed in the ground. The float test is easy, put the seeds in water and if they float, throw them away. Or plant them anyways, you never know.

Re:Planting Seed Question 9 years 7 months ago #30871

2nd that. ...and definitely plant them anyway. Most of the commercial seed is stratified above ground and with limited moisture to control disease. Often, they will float out of the box and still be completely viable.

Re:Planting Seed Question 9 years 7 months ago #30883

Ok, out of the first lb I bought I tried the float test on about 20 seeds and I'd say 10-12 were floating. I freaked out!!!! I did notice when I went to touch one of the floaters as soon as my fingertip touched the water immediately all but 2 fell to bottom???

Re:Planting Seed Question 9 years 7 months ago #30884

Ok, out of the first lb I bought I tried the float test on about 20 seeds and I'd say 10-12 were floating. I freaked out!!!! I did notice when I went to touch one of the floaters as soon as my fingertip touched the water immediately all but 2 fell to bottom???

Re:Planting Seed Question 9 years 7 months ago #30917

Deleted.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds

Who's Online

We have 549 guests and no members online

Login