2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: 3 year old

Re:3 year old 9 years 7 months ago #30676

Looks like you are doing a good job of it and your plants are liking where they are growing.

I think when you have 3 prongs at year 3, and some producing berries at that point - that is a sure sign that the location is good.

I have had that at some of my locations, but at others they have just not done as well - still mostly small 2 prongs at year 4. I think that is a sure sign that the location is just not going to pay off.

I would stick with he wild sim (myself)... that cultivated is sure looking quite carrot like and no doubt that is going to impact the price quite a bit.

Looks like you are on the right track to me. Good Luck !

TNhunter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:3 year old 9 years 7 months ago #30717

I agree with you TN, the wild sim is what I will be going with for sure. I am just happy both methods worked and was happy to see the difference in results.

Planting methods do make a big difference...

Re:3 year old 9 years 7 months ago #30854

Nice lookin roots, very hairy. Congratulations.

Re:3 year old 9 years 4 months ago #33980

Thanks bigroots for showing such clear pics of both. This is my first year planting and I planted ten pounds of seeds mostly wild sim but wheeled the rototiller in for 120 cubic feet of 500 seeds hoping they would grow faster and be seed producers. I now know that rototiller aint getting drug down in them woods anymore after seeing how carrotlike the roots look. Still not too mad at myself as it's only 500 seeds and maybe they'll make seeds faster.

Re:3 year old 9 years 4 months ago #33983

You got a rototiller to work in the woods? I would have thought it would get caught up on rocks and big tree roots in a hurry.

Re:3 year old 9 years 4 months ago #33985

That Iowa soil is making a difference for you. Nice looking roots!

Re:3 year old 9 years 4 months ago #33990

Ittiz
Yeah, I squeezed it in just in time. We had a few rains but I knew woods soil drains quicker than say garden soil so I toted the shovel down in first. It seemed to crumble so the tiller followed. Not so many rocks in my woods but did have to hop over one fat maple root with the tiller. Cut up the ones less than 1\" diameter. Was pretty happy to see the bright yellow roots of 'seal. Just hope I didn't hurt it any. That stuff has taken off in them woods in the last few years.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds

Who's Online

We have 199 guests and no members online

Login