2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Planting on my lot

Planting on my lot 14 years 5 months ago #3157

I am new to the forum, but I have been reading this forum for over a year.
Well I final pulled the trigger and ordered some seed. I am going to try growing a little Wild Simulated ginseng in my yard. I have read everything I could get my hands on and I think my lot may be OK. I stopped by the VA co-op office and picked up a soil test kit, but haven't sent it in yet. Since I am right here in my yard and not way out in the woods, I can use my lawn tractor and micro disc. So I guess I came up with some of my own planting methods. I thought I would share some pictures of me planting my first few hundred seeds. I got a pound of seed so I have got plenty more work to do. It only took me about two hours to plant 400 seeds (most of that was clearing old limbs and sticks).

My lot:
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Planting on my lot 14 years 5 months ago #3158

A pass with the lawn tractor to clear the leafs:

Attachments:

Re:Planting on my lot 14 years 5 months ago #3159

Just a little raking:
Attachments:

Re:Planting on my lot 14 years 5 months ago #3160

A few pass's with the disk:
Attachments:

Re:Planting on my lot 14 years 5 months ago #3161

close-up of the disc:
Attachments:

Re:Planting on my lot 14 years 4 months ago #3202

Wow planting rootlets is time consuming. I got 50 3 year old rootlets from Harding, 100 one year old rootlets from Shady Oaks Ginseng, and a pound of seed from Premier Ginseng. I have managed to get half the seed planted and have been planting rootlets now, for what seems like forever. With it getting dark so early, I can?t do any planting after work each day, and weekends there is always something that comes up. I can see why Wild and Wild simulate roots have such character; there are so many other roots for them to compete with under the trees. All those tree roots, really slow down planting the rootlets. I only have about 10 more 3 year old rootlets left to plant, but I still have at least 50 one year old rootlets left. At least the one year old roots are easier to plant, don?t have to dig as deep.

Re:Planting on my lot 14 years 4 months ago #3203

Yardgrower, Nice pics, hope to see some pics in the spring when your hard work shows its self. I'm glad you shared your story and am interested of how it goes in the years to come. Good Luck to you and your plants.

Re:Planting on my lot 14 years 4 months ago #3210

Thanks Huntndig. My family and friends are all getting tired of hearing about Ginseng and will all probable have a big laugh at me if nothing comes up next spring. It's nice to have a forum like this to come to where everyone shares the interest. It seems like the forum slows down a bit once digging season is over.

Re:Planting on my lot 14 years 4 months ago #3211

Yardgrower
Nice Pic's I am doing some planting on the other side of the state and in WV. I would like to hear how they do come spring? Sounds like you have a good start!
Kelly

Re:Planting on my lot 14 years 4 months ago #3212

Thanks Kelly. I just hope there is something to take pic's of next spring. Guess there's not much left to do but wait till spring.

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds

Who's Online

We have 224 guests and no members online

Login