2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Average weight of roots

Re:Average weight of roots 13 years 10 months ago #3831

This root is a little larger , but most of the plants are at least 2/3 this size. The picture above(on the piece of printer paper)shows an average size in this plot.(in fall 2009)
Here is the sight I purchased rootlets ( not this large)and seed from in fall of 2006
www.ginseng-seed.com/

Also that plot is now 4 yrs old. I am not digging till maybe, August
then just for samples,or maybe for transplanting (?)I am more than happy with the results of my labors...thrilling ! ! ! ..Jim
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Average weight of roots 13 years 10 months ago #3884

Root size is highly variable from state to state, so root weight will be somewhat determined by your location. The guy who quoted approximately 250-300 dried roots per lb. is in the ball park. Here in Ohio the avg. is 280 roots, but we grow some of the smallest roots of all the states that have a ginseng mangagement and export programs. I have seen considerably larger roots coming out of Maryland, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, and of course upstate New York where 3 or 4 fresh roots can weigh more than a pound!

Re:Average weight of roots 13 years 10 months ago #3886

I know I am NOT a genius, (:>

And I know my sang plot is growing in OHIO, without the aid of fertilizers !
And I have roots, grown in the Wild,planted by deer, the wind and me !
I have been told by a local wildlife officer, I will need to take my harvested roots, to a location in my county, and have them certified before I sell them.
Next year I will find out, when this plot will be 5 years old.

I do have most of what germinated ? who would believe ? My eyes do !
PEACE ALL....JIMSENG
There are some 4yr ole's that are....4 Prongs, no one can have my JOY

Attachments:

Re:Average weight of roots 13 years 10 months ago #3892

Jim,

FYI, the wild life officer may not have given you entirely accurate information when he said you have to have your roots certified. I am pretty sure this is true for all states with ginseng management programs, but the root only has to be certified if you are going to transport/ship it across state lines to to an out of state buyer. Also you are supposed to have roots certified if you are not going to sell them in the year harvested, and hold them over until the next \"buying season\". Generally root certification dosen't apply to growers/harvesters unless you are holding the roots over until the following buying season, which many people do in hopes that the price will go up. Licensed root buyers on the other hand are required to get the roots that they purchase certified by the stat wildlife agency. By in large there is great confusion among wildlife managers about what the actual regulations are. Essentially the state ginseng management program is a largely un-funded mandate to the states sent down from the USFWS, so most of the officers don't even get any really ginseng specific training. I have personally had officers say things like \"ginseng must be three years old to harvest\" when they mean it needs to have 3 prongs, and be 5 years old to legally harvest and sell. So this is where we are at in Ohio. The Ohio Division of Wildlife is a good resource for info regarding wild harvesting in the state and specific regulatory issues, but when it comes to growing and marketing it is best to seek alternative resources.

Nice 4 prong
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds

Who's Online

We have 223 guests and no members online

Login