2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Wild simulated density

Wild simulated density 14 years 2 months ago #3319

Just curious, what it the density for wild simulated? I was planning on 1 seed per square foot.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Wild simulated density 14 years 2 months ago #3326

I would think you would want to plant denser than that. You are going to loose alot of plants if you are going to go untouched Wild Simulated. From what I have read if you end up with 1 plant per foot you will be in good shape, but you will need to plant denser than that to factor in plant loss. You can go alot denser it you are planing on spraying fungicides (still considered Wild Simulated by some)

If you don't already have it you should get a copy of Scott Persons book on Growing Ginseng. It will have answers to lots of those kinds of questions. It's a great book for new growers or anyone growing Ginseng.

Re:Wild simulated density 14 years 1 month ago #3335

Thank you for the info.

So if I plant one per SF, I can always fill in later if need be, and alleviate the denseness of shade-grown.

Just out of curiosity, how does one determine the difference between true wild and wild-simulated, especially if the area has been there for a long, long time?

I have tulip poplars 120 feet tall, with three feet of humus, and I know ginseng was there naturally before it was stolen. How can one determine that my roots aren't from natural seeds?

Re:Wild simulated density 14 years 1 month ago #3336

The first dead giveaway will be when you go to sell, you are going to have X pounds of roots all the same age. When people hunt wild, their roots will have different ages. Age can be closely approximated by counting neck scars. I think technically they are certified with the state as Wild. You will want to keep all of your receipts for seed and document your planting. 7 or 8 years from now when you are ready to sell, the laws may change and it might be better to be able to prove that they are not wild. Laws may change and limit or outlaw wild harvesting, then being able to prove that you are a Wild Simulated grower will pay off. Nothing may change, but it?s better to be safe than sorry.

Re:Wild simulated density 14 years 1 month ago #3337

Excellent advice. Thanks!

Re:Wild simulated density 14 years 1 month ago #3338

• Hillbilly
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Just want to add one more thing to that. I keep a book like a photo album and keep all receipts in it. I also will take a picture or two of me and my son planting the seeds that the receipt are from. To me every little piece of evidence will help in the future if we have to prove we are indeed wild simulated growers. Also on the age try digging multiple aged plots when u go to sell and mix them well. It may help u or not worth trying.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds

Who's Online

We have 179 guests and no members online

Login