2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Growing in pots?

Growing in pots? 9 years 5 months ago #33235

Howdy Ho!

I had some extra seed left over so I planted them in a bunch of left over flower pots. Should I just leave those pots in the backyard over the winter, or should I dig them into the ground abit?

The only problem I can see with leaving the pots out above ground is the potential for thawing during a warm spell whereas the ground will still be frozen. Any thoughts or experiences with this?

Thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Growing in pots? 9 years 5 months ago #33240

One of the biggest issues with perennial plants in pots is they dry out over the winter. Digging them in not only helps moderate temperatures but also the moisture. Good instinct there.

Re:Growing in pots? 9 years 5 months ago #33247

Interesting. I am in northern WI though...they'll probably be covered in a snow bank from Dec to Mar.

Re:Growing in pots? 9 years 5 months ago #33399

Welcome to this forum, fishman78!

i have never had any luck growing our favorite herb in pots. I have heard some that have, tho. Here in NC, 'sang likes the mountains, the cool, the wild.

Re:Growing in pots? 9 years 4 months ago #33600

I tried it last year I put 4 in pots and covered them up with leaves in the fall two came back up and two rotted in the pots I don't know if it was two much water or if they froze over the winter

Re:Growing in pots? 9 years 4 months ago #33718

I've had horrible success with pots. I planted some in a pot and nothing came up at all. Then I went and planted some Poncirus Trifoliata in the same pot (without even changing the dirt) and they all came up great. So I'm thinking Ginseng doesn't like pots.

Re:Growing in pots? 9 years 2 months ago #34132

Can you start some seeds in pots indoors NOW, and transplant to the woods in the spring?

Re:Growing in pots? 9 years 2 months ago #34133

The seeds come up great but dye quickly for some unknown reason. I have tried it many times. It just doesn't work.
Here are some pics of some small rootlets that I planted three years ago.They sprouted great but did not make it indoors either. They died even though they were given the right amount of water and light.

www.wildgrown.com/index.php/Ginseng-Foru...nseng-sprouting.html

Latt

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds

Who's Online

We have 293 guests and no members online

Login