2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Should I irrigate in the dry days following a wild-simulated planting?

Should I irrigate in the dry days following a wild-simulated planting? 9 years 5 months ago #33373

Is there a widely-accepted rule concerning 1) whether to water, 2) how much to water, and 3) how many days to water, if no rain falls after a wild-simulated planting? My searches on the subject haven't been successful. Feel free to refer me to an existing thread that covers the topic thoroughly.

Following my planting day at a \"somewhat remote\" location this week, I probably can't get back to the planting site for almost a week. Rain does not appear likely for several days following planting day.

Thanks for any authoritative replies.

Hillside

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Should I irrigate in the dry days following a wild-simulated planting? 9 years 5 months ago #33374

Hillside,
I don't know how authoritative I am, but if you kept your seeds in good shape before you planted them, and if the temperatures have been getting down pretty cool at night time where you planted the seeds; then there should be enough moisture coming from the earth to keep the seeds in good shape for several weeks. If you feel it might be a problem and you can get water to them, go ahead and wet the area some. It sure won't hurt anything. I believe you'll be alright unless we have an extended dry spell for weeks and weeks.

Hugh

Re:Should I irrigate in the dry days following a wild-simulated planting? 9 years 5 months ago #33378

I think Hugh is right there. I'd add to what he says and say that seed can tolerate being MUCH drier than we initially thought it could. I think your seed will be just fine in the ground. A good soaking rain is always a plus to pack down the area and might even improve germination some, but not really all that necessary for good germination.

Depending on how far south you are, I think your seed can easily handle no rain until snow at this point.

Re:Should I irrigate in the dry days following a wild-simulated planting? 9 years 5 months ago #33385

Thanks for both of your replies. I'll relax about when the next rain comes. My first effort was a seed bed in the slopes behind my house that I could easily water. This week's upcoming planting will be in areas to which I can't return, until mid-winter.

Again, many thanks for helping me get off to a good start!

Re:Should I irrigate in the dry days following a wild-simulated planting? 9 years 5 months ago #33721

Ginseng doesn't grow in arid areas, and if you live within it's range I wouldn't worry about it. If you peel back the leaves and scrape an inch off the surface and see moisture I wouldn't worry about it.

Re:Should I irrigate in the dry days following a wild-simulated planting? 9 years 5 months ago #33803

Thanks for your advice, Ittiz. The soil did seem moist enough, even at 1/2 an inch deep. I just had newbie jitters about making sure there was enough water.

Re:Should I irrigate in the dry days following a wild-simulated planting? 9 years 5 months ago #33804

Thanks for your advice, Ittiz. The soil did seem moist enough, even at 1/2 an inch deep. I just had newbie jitters about making sure there was enough water.

Re:Should I irrigate in the dry days following a wild-simulated planting? 9 years 5 months ago #33809

Only water in during a extreme year of drought where the top layers of soil show no moisture. To make sure my seeds to last through the drier winter months though I always soak them the day of planting for about a hour or so so they can draw in needed moisture before planting then I drain and bag them before heading out to dig & plant for the day.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds

Who's Online

We have 313 guests and no members online

Login