2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Woods Cultivated Ginseng 2015

Woods Cultivated Ginseng 2015 9 years 5 months ago #33533

Well folks, Lisa and I are going to try and plant an acre of \"Woods Cultivated\" ginseng on an acre of land we have. We now own 13 wooded acres of land. The soil is OK but could be much better. I am going to amend it with leaf litter mulch/compost. Here is the beginning of the leaf litter pile I am starting. This pic below shows 4 large municipal truck loads of shredded leaf piles that I have had dumped at my brothers property. I need about 10 more truckloads to till into the 1 acre where we are going to plant.

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Woods Cuktivated Ginseng 2015 9 years 5 months ago #33535

Sounds like a ton of fun latt good luck to you

Re:Woods Cuktivated Ginseng 2015 9 years 5 months ago #33536

Latt, An acre of woods cultivated is a lot of work. My experience with woods cultivated is a lot of it was a low grade root when I dug it. Maybe yours will do better, I hope so. Good luck!

Re:Woods Cultivated Ginseng 2015 9 years 5 months ago #33537

Lenno - Yea, it's going to be a lot of work for sure. Time will tell about the root. Not expecting roots to look like wild. Hopefully they will be valuable still but at a reduced price I know.
Latt

Re:Woods Cultivated Ginseng 2015 9 years 5 months ago #33542

Latt,

Just wondering. Are you going to till the leaves into the soil and then rake it into ridges or raised beds?
Wish you the best.

Re:Woods Cultivated Ginseng 2015 9 years 5 months ago #33544

Rootman,
I am going to eventually move all the leaves to the property we own once we get a driveway in. Then I will accelerate the decomposition of the mulched leaves so they will be more like dark rich compost. I will then till it into the soil. I am not going to do raised beds. Studies show raised beds do not out perform tilled soil from what I have seen. Since our land is on a mild to steeper slope depending on where I plant, I do not see a reason to fear water retention problems. So in essence tilled raised beds are not necessary where I am going to plant.
Thanks,
Latt

Re:Woods Cultivated Ginseng 2015 9 years 5 months ago #33547

sounds like a good plan.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds

Who's Online

We have 220 guests and no members online

Login