2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: My soil report

My soil report 9 years 5 months ago #33566

Hi yall,

I'm dabbling with growing some ginseng, goldenseal, and ramps on my property. Recently got a soil report, and here it is:

Organic Matter %: 8.8
pH: 6.4
Bray 1 Phosphorus ppm: 38
Potassium ppm: 143
Calcium lbs/acre: 5088
Magnesium ppm: 270

My main focus is on growing wild simulated sang. Any thoughts on this soil report? Think I need any amendments?

Thanks!

Boon

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:My soil report 9 years 5 months ago #33568

Looks good to me, especially your calcium. My calcium here is around 2600, and my ginseng does good.

Re:My soil report 9 years 5 months ago #33569

Agreed,
Pretty good soil.
Latt

Re:My soil report 9 years 5 months ago #33570

Its pretty much an old growth sugar maple forest. Can't find any sang there but I know for a fact it grew there before. Full of maidenhair fern taboot.

Re:My soil report 9 years 4 months ago #33936

boonerman wrote:

Its pretty much an old growth sugar maple forest. Can't find any sang there but I know for a fact it grew there before. Full of maidenhair fern taboot.

If I truly had and old growth sugar maple stand I'd just log it and the he** with growing ginseng !

Re:My soil report 9 years 4 months ago #33938

The beauty of nature is worth more than the money you would get from cutting the trees!
Once the trees are gone you have nothing but an eye sore.

Re:My soil report 9 years 4 months ago #33940

Rootman,
I agree.

I had an opportunity to buy 93 acres 15 years ago. This woods was the best woods in the entire county. Mixed hardwoods and an old growth forest. It was full of Fern, Blood root, Yellow root, Trillian, Jack-n-the-pulpit, Blue and Black cohosh and tons of dwarf ginseng. Never did fin any wild seng tho.

Anyway, the trees were 200 to 300 years old. The value of the trees exceeded the price they wanted for the property. I know I could have bought the property, then logged it and paid the note off. However I just couldn't do it. The thought of logging all those beautiful trees mad me sick.

Anyway someone else did exactly that. They bought it and logged the piss out of it. Then they sold the logged property to another guy that paid top dollar for a woods that had all the big stuff cut.

Now it is mostly stickers and weeds and is ruined.

Latt

Re:My soil report 9 years 4 months ago #33942

rootman wrote:

The beauty of nature is worth more than the money you would get from cutting the trees!
Once the trees are gone you have nothing but an eye sore.

Amen to that, my friend..
I would never cut mine. If I did, I would have to buy more timberland elsewhere, so what's the point. Mine was very select logged about 25 years ago and its prime for the taking now, but it will stay as is and grow ginseng.

I would like to get a little sawmill one day and make use of the downed trees instead of them rotting away though. I have a big hard maple that blew into a poplar I would love to make use of before it hits the ground and decomposes.

Re:My soil report 9 years 4 months ago #33947

To each is their own. I just know that trees don't live forever and to maintain a forest requires disturbance. Either you create the disturbance or nature will. You might as well get some money out of it. Just looking at it from a foresters perspective

Re:My soil report 9 years 4 months ago #33948

Oh, I agree with you as well. I just can't stand to see a place clear-cut.
A friend of mine who is a log broker told me an acre of timber land will make the owner $50 (in today's money) a year if it is cut selectively every 20-30 years. After 30 years,due to natural circumstances,you will lose $50-100 a year if it isn't cut. I'm sure at some point it balances out. That is leaving all trees 17\" and under.
Although, with that said, mine will have to stay until I see ginseng can't grow there any longer. I would like to make use of the trees nature puts down itself.

Hillhopper

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds

Who's Online

We have 548 guests and no members online

Login