2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: How many pounds of seed per acre?

Re:How many pounds of seed per acre? 9 years 4 months ago #33740

I've actually had very good success with battery operated electric fences in the woods to keep deer damage down. A good deep cycle battery will run a 7 strand fence most of the summer.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:How many pounds of seed per acre? 9 years 4 months ago #33743

I guess with electric fencing, it's a gamble. BCastle, how often would you have to recharge the battary? With deer, do they dig up the root or just take the tops? Kinda like the difference between cows and horses. Cows eat the blades, horses rip up the grass.

Re:How many pounds of seed per acre? 9 years 4 months ago #33748

garethNjessica wrote:

Good morning guys. I'm trying to put together some exact numbers. I've read different things about amounts of seed per acre. Wouldn't the numbers vary depending upon what terrain you have on your land? For instance, out of 1 acre of land (in the mountains), only 1/2 of that may be usable. Is this a safe assumption? With that being said, out of a full acre, how many pounds of seed are needed per acre? How many seed per sq/ft? Safely without over crowding. After planting, through the years not all will survive. Is it best to spot plant every year as they thin out and die? Thanks for all the help and support you guys have shown.

My method with no ginseng on the property currently but known that it will sustain ginseng is 5lbs of seed for the first 4 years then 2 lbs of seed per year after with no digging until at least 10 years, then every year I dig that land I put another 5 lbs of seed down till crop is fully established. Then continue to expand outward from that acreage always making sure to add another 1-2 lbs of seed yearly to the areas producing enough berries that its self sufficient reseeding then only add additional seed every year I dig the property in question. it takes 15-20 years for things to really begin to smooth out but I've found this method to be highly efficient myself.

Re:How many pounds of seed per acre? 9 years 4 months ago #33759

Like a 12v car battery? How do you boost the current to the 20k needed? I guess if you did a small area that'd work.

Re:How many pounds of seed per acre? 9 years 4 months ago #33770

Chapter 7 of my book deals with just this subject. Parmak 12 U O fence charger and a deep cycle marine battery from walmart. I used the smaller wire because it is the most economic to use. I used T posts and 1/2\" rebar and some temporary fence posts here and there.

I normally only had to recharge the battery once in the spring and again sometime in July.

Re:How many pounds of seed per acre? 9 years 4 months ago #33776

I gottch GMCPaul. Crop rotation, just a little different than what I'm used to, but simmilar. That should be a fairly easy and inexpensive setup BCastle.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds

Who's Online

We have 661 guests and no members online

Login