2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Protecting Newly Planted Seeds?

Re:Protecting Newly Planted Seeds? 9 years 2 months ago #34232

Thanks for the link there, jimsenger66. Interesting stuff on that page.

MY partnet and i are going to experiment with wiring one patch this fall as well. Our first patch has 'way too many areas where there is no wall of lapped understory, and this would be the one that we;d use it on. Solar panel, with one battery, and a whole group of wire should do it.

Security cameras are going in to, however we are still considering the investment on that approach. 'Course this is going in to protect the patched from the two legged 'sang predators... one system I have looked at was about $3k, would send photos to a hard drive and then to our cell phones, etc, had at least 8 cameras. Cost is prohibitive, however if put in perspective of the profits generated from an entire acre, could be justified that way. Even if a camera was disabled or stolen, we would have a pic of the b*^#@*^d that did it. I like this system, makes more sense to me that camping year round on my patches...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Protecting Newly Planted Seeds? 9 years 2 months ago #34241

Whitjr:

That $3k is a chunk of change but might end up being a sweet investment. It sure would be nice to immediately know when someone is there unlike my setup where I can only act after the fact. I think it would tell you what is messing with your seng other than poachers as well, leaving you the ability to act accordingly. I have $1k in my cams and batteries and solar panels and means to secure the cameras. Gonna get a light duty extendable ladder and secure it to a tree with a chain and lock, for reaching the cams up high. Most of my cameras have a \"black box\" seperate from the camera and sends a copy of the image to the hidden unit. Them are nice as there is an antenna on the camera and a would be thief will think the cam is sending the image to me via text or email immediately and leave immediately (I hope). The black boxes also have a plug for an external battery but sure can't use a solar panel on them as that'd give away the location. I figure the remote unit can sip a battery pretty lightly anyway. It's a fairly less expensive way to still have the image of the poacher if they do shoot up the camera. I would think most poachers would be afraid of making noise anyway. Most of the cameras have a place for a padlock to keep unit locked so I just bought chain and cut it in lengths for every one that had the bigger hole and use a padlock. On the ones with smaller holes for attaching with bunji chords I got the Master Python locks. Gotta secure each one or the thief will take the cams as well as your seng. I hope this gives any readers ideas on less expensive poacher prevention. It's probably best for me not to know immediately if someone is there cause I don't know how I may react. Backhoe rental is fairly inexpensive! Ha Ha!

Kinda thinking about putting up warning signs on edges of property warning of electric fence as well as \"tripwires\" (for the 12 guage blank perimeter alarms) and signs stating the premises is under 24 hour \"live\" surveillance. Still not sure if that will be a good idea or just let them find out the hard way. I just hate to see someone laying dead from a heart attack in my woods when they trigger the perimeter alarm. I think the signs would relieve me from liability as they did indeed get forewarned. Of course noone will believe there is tripwires!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds

Who's Online

We have 330 guests and no members online

Login