2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Rootlets per acre

Rootlets per acre 9 years 2 months ago #34478

How many rootlets are needeed per acre or by square foot? Is it the same math as seeds 4 to 5 per square foot? Also, whats the average survival rate of planting 2 year old rootlets? I'm sure there is a lot of variations? Any input would be great. Thanks guys.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Rootlets per acre 9 years 2 months ago #34480

Gareth,
Because of the cost that is involved to but rootlets I would think that you need to have a specific goal in mind for your planting such as getting some seed bearers in a hurry or getting some plants with age on them to mix in with younger roots when you make your first sales. It is a much better investment overall just for general planting to use seed. However I do recommend that you get some older rootlets planted for the purposes that I mentioned. I think that you should plant more mature rootlets at a 10/12 inch spacing so they can have some size to them in about 10 years. If you plant them as close as you might plant seeds there will certainly be some disease problems down the road.

Hugh

Re:Rootlets per acre 9 years 2 months ago #34484

I agree with much of what Hugh said. Knowing the purpose to which [or where you plan] you will be putting them in is vital to your estimation of how many and spacing.

Once i bought 300 three year olds, and put them in. i put them in about one every 14\". they all came up, however only have about 20 left now due mostly to deer predation. anyway, i put these in two patches of ground that were 12'x6'. you'd be surprized at how fast they go in , easy to plant, and get used quickly to fill the space. It takes more than you think to do a lot of ground.

I remember that you had a source for two year old roots at a good price. After thinking about it, i would only put in three year olds... I believe that you will have a high mortality rate with younger plants.

Good luck!

Re:Rootlets per acre 9 years 2 months ago #34496

Thanks Mr. Hugh and Whitjr. I know the route I will take. I'll follow with what you said Mr. Hugh. Thanks guys for your knowledge. You are a great group of people.

Re:Rootlets per acre 9 years 2 months ago #34507

Aww, shucks... [kicks foot on the floor] just being a good ole southern boy...

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds

Who's Online

We have 194 guests and no members online

Login