2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: The cold weather

The cold weather 9 years 1 month ago #34592

Should I be happy about the last two weeks of Feb this year with all the ice and snow? I'm hoping this will help my little patch in germination. The way I understand it seng has to have the cold before it will sprout, so I'll take the two weeks we've had as long as spring brings the green up.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:The cold weather 9 years 1 month ago #34593

The danger of the very cold weather we've had here (lots of below zero temps in Ohio) is that it brings with it the danger of rust. Seed should be ok as far as germination as long as it continues to warm seasonally and has available rainfall when needed during germination.

I'm with you though, I've had about enough of this cold stuff for the year.

Re:The cold weather 9 years 1 month ago #34596

The snow on the ground sure helps insulate too. Snow is 32 degrees. So if the ground is covered with snow it helps protect the seed.
Latt

Re:The cold weather 9 years 1 month ago #34598

Ive always wondered if the weight of heavy snowfall might help push wild seeds closer to soil and increase their odds of germanation or compact the leaves and hinder their ability to sprout to the surface

Re:The cold weather 9 years 1 month ago #34599

Leebros,
Yes you are correct. It is always a good thing to fluff the leaves (Especially Oak Leaves) up a bit making sure not to break the seed tails. I just take a leaf rake to the planting site a few weeks prior to them sprouting and fluff up the leaves very gently.
Seeds pop and sprout around 5/1 or so where I'm at.
Good luck,
Latt

Re:The cold weather 9 years 1 month ago #34614

I think that the snow will help percolate in any soil amendments you may have made as well.

I don't mind the persistant cold, and it's been much more than usual also here in NC... however am very ready for the strong winds to cease. my greenhouse is suffering from winds damages, gonna have to put a new roof on sooner than later...

Re:The cold weather 9 years 2 weeks ago #34901

It was a very cold winter in North Georgia. I am glad spring is finally here. Here is some video I shot when it was 6F here.
vimeo.com/120108729

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds

Who's Online

We have 80 guests and no members online

Login