2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Selling rootlets

Selling rootlets 9 years 1 month ago #34668

Hey, I have a wild sim. patch that I planted back in 2011 on my own property. Im thinking of thinning it out and selling some rootlets for replanting....I have a couple questions....
1. would they be considered 3 or 4 year old rootlets?
2. Are there any legal considerations to selling rootlets?
3.do I dig and sell them in the fall.
4. Is there any special treatment rootlets have to go through?
5 How do you peck fresh rootlets for shipping?
6. what's a fair price for 3-4 yr old rootlets?

I'm in Indiana if that matters. Thanks for your input.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Selling rootlets 9 years 1 month ago #34669

One Sly..

I would think you would want to count the years of growth considering each full year of growing season (up the first spring... and then made it thru to fall - a 1 year old).

At the end of the second fall - 2 year old.

I don't know if that is officially how it is done but that makes sense to me.

I would think you would only want to harvest and sell rootlets in the fall after the next years bud spur had fully developed and the tops started to die back or turn yellow.

I do know that one of the seed suppliers that I buy from (who also sells rootlets) said he gives the rootlets a clorox solution bath similar to how you treat seed. It has been a few years but best I remember he said a 5% solution for 10 minutes or so.

When float testing stratified seed Scott recommended a 10% bleach solution for 10-12 minutes.

I looked thru Scotts book just now but could not find any recommendation on how to treat rootlets. It might be in there somewhere but I could not find it. I looked at every instance of the word bleach. Could be that he recommends something else, but I did not find it.

Good Luck on the rootlets !

TNhunter

Re:Selling rootlets 9 years 1 month ago #34753

If you do decide to sell any please let me know! Always looking for another place to get rootlets. I like trying seeds and rootlets from different regions. Thanks.

Re:Selling rootlets 9 years 4 weeks ago #34759

Indiana DNR Links...

I would contact them to see if there's a legal rootlet market for IN sourced plants.

www.in.gov/dnr/naturepreserve/8235.htm
www.in.gov/dnr/naturepreserve/files/ginseng99.pdf
www.ahpa.org/portals/0/pdfs/Indiana.pdf

Re:Selling rootlets 9 years 4 weeks ago #34772

Surely there wouldn't be any laws or regulations about selling extra rootlets, they would be from seeds bought and planted, needing to be thinned or would die anyway. I think some people confuse wild ginseng with cultivated ginseng. And if the government wants to say ginseng is ginseng, then why in the world would it be considered endangered? There are millions of ginseng plants, and millions of seeds planted every year.

Re:Selling rootlets 9 years 4 weeks ago #34791

How far from new albany are you? If not to far comtact me.can this site send private messages?

Re:Selling rootlets 9 years 4 weeks ago #34799

lenno wrote:

Surely there wouldn't be any laws or regulations about selling extra rootlets, they would be from seeds bought and planted, needing to be thinned or would die anyway. I think some people confuse wild ginseng with cultivated ginseng. And if the government wants to say ginseng is ginseng, then why in the world would it be considered endangered? There are millions of ginseng plants, and millions of seeds planted every year.

Depends on the state law....

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds

Who's Online

We have 439 guests and no members online

Login