2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Shaded ginseng beds

Shaded ginseng beds 9 years 1 month ago #34673

Im thinking of opening up a 1 acre plot for shade grown ginseng for seed production. Was thinking of 10-12 lbs seed with 80% germ. Estimate Rate 60,000 plants if all the stars line up lol. What are growers using to control fungi, disease etc.. to keep the plants healthy each year could it be possible to keep the pants healthy for 10-12 years growing on top of each other?, cost of chemical? And is there anything organic. I use Damascus earth for bugs and it helps. Problem is my woods crop,is great and I don't want to crowd it anymore and lose the whole crop one year to fungi but I have 3 acres open range to play with.

Or maybe I should pay a farm visit to a grower for knowledge?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Shaded ginseng beds 9 years 1 month ago #34691

I think it would be hard to get them to grow 10 years under artificial shade even with fungicides.

Re:Shaded ginseng beds 9 years 1 month ago #34704

Well, I don't think the plants know or care if they are under trees or shade cloth. I think it is the growing conditions and method under the shade which will determine all of the results

Re:Shaded ginseng beds 9 years 1 month ago #34709

I know there doing it up north growing seed crop, but further south tennessee Virginia etc it gets hot most seed growers grow in the woods for seed crop that I have talked to.guess I'll give it a shot it not ill have a few 10 thousand rootlets to sell or transplant in the woods after a few years or cheap worm food lol

Re:Shaded ginseng beds 9 years 1 month ago #34711

Southern climates would be a challenge with artificial shade. I would certainly do a lot of research before investing thousands of dollars.
Even Wisconsin growers look for the right soil, very loose and drains quickly,and also good cool air flow currents.
Fields with artificial shade compared to the woods can be a difference of 10 degrees. woods being the cooler.

rootman

Re:Shaded ginseng beds 9 years 1 month ago #34712

sybee,
I wish the best for you if you try it. The odds are really against you. I would recommend hooking up with a friend or someone trustworthy that has woods. Make a deal with them to plant in their woods. If you have to split it 50/50 I think you will still be ahead verses planting shade grown. Up north shade grown ginseng can cost over $30,000 per acre to grow and maintain seng annually.
Latt

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds

Who's Online

We have 290 guests and no members online

Login