2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Seed purchase for new grower

Re:Seed purchase for new grower 13 years 11 months ago #3496

Hey Huntndig, I've been growing ginseng for a few years now, but there isn't anything like hunting wild ginseng. For me there is no contest... being out in the woods, being close to nature, finding that big four pronger!!!!!
Yeah. Hunting ginseng is much better.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Seed purchase for new grower 13 years 11 months ago #3498

Hey everyone. I have just become aware of growing/hunting gingeng. Just wanted to wish you the best of luck with your growing. I am in my mid 20s now and am really interested in this as an investment in my future. Sadly, I live in Louisiana and am not sure gingeng will grow here. J

Re:Seed purchase for new grower 13 years 11 months ago #3501

Couple of thoughts on your operation in general... sounds like you're in the same situation as I am, got 150 acres of old growth forest with steep hills. Wish I'd started when I first read about it 5 years ago, but I'm moving forward now and that's what's important.

It's going to be a learning process for your specific situation. Where will it grow best, where won't it grow? I started small, one pound of seeds and 100 3YO roots. Bedded or potted a couple of hundred seeds to see how they'd do, planted the rest on hillsides, in a wide spread to see where it came up the best. Just now transplating a few of the potted seeds to see how effective that is, and I'm transplanting in stages - some each month, to see if waiting a while helps. Wildflowers are a good indicator - if you see wild ginger, bloodroot, trillium or jack in the pulpit, sang will like that.

Got both seeds and roots from wildgrown, looks like a quality product. As I'm in KY, they were close, and it's recommended that you get your sang from someone close to where you will be farming.

I've also heard concerns about disease from the mass producers on the west coast. If you pack sang in closely, it will get fungus. Don't know if that carries over to the seeds.

Rather than dive in with a big investment that you might lose because you planted it in the wrong place or the wrong way, I'd suggest you start modestly the first year and learn your land and the plant. Once you find out what sang likes and doesn't like, then go to town. It's a finicky little plant. If it was easy to raise, there'd be tons of it and it wouldn't sell for so much.

templeje - check the zone map. LA is probably too hot for sang. It likes cool weather. But what the heck - get a pound of seeds and see how they do.

Re:Seed purchase for new grower 13 years 11 months ago #3523

Howdy Buckeye,
I planted my test site here in Ohio with one pound of seed from Glacier in the fall of 2006 , you can see the pic of 3 and four prong plants and am very happy with the results...Jim
Attachments:

Re:Seed purchase for new grower 13 years 11 months ago #3524

Also planted seed from Wisc. last year and got as good a germination rate from them. I have seedlings everywhere this year! Enjoy your venture! Here is a shot of some seedlings
Attachments:

Re:Seed purchase for new grower 13 years 11 months ago #3525

that\"s a nice patch. did you plant in rows? what density did you get with the seeds.

Re:Seed purchase for new grower 13 years 11 months ago #3527

glad to hear you still like hunting the wild seng Jchrisfos! Seeing these pics by jimseng posted, and reading what you guys have been talking about has gottin to me. Guess I am going to have to grow myself a patch for the fun of it. I think I have the seng fever,may have to see the Doctor about it.Saw some seng while shroomin this year its a good sign for a good rootin fall.Love that plant,gives me a thrill now like it did when I first started rootin 30 years ago.

Re:Seed purchase for new grower 13 years 11 months ago #3548

WOW!

I cannot get over the wealth of knowledge on this forum. Thanks aagain and I will be taking ALL of your advice into consideration this year, keep it coming!

Re:Seed purchase for new grower 13 years 10 months ago #3585

Hey Jimseng,

Great pics by the way. I was reading in another post and you mentioned that you are in Carroll county Ohio.........so am I.

My concern for ginseng growth here was centered around the clay/shale type soil we have so DAMN much of here. The soil test that I had done awhile back shows a few areas that need improvement with amendments but the more I read and listen, the less I think the ammendments are a safe idea.

Your pictures give me a little more peice of mind for planting on my property!

The owner of Glacial Ginseng Mike Hunter came down to my place 2 weeks ago. We walked the property and hung out for half the day shooting the breeze. He is a very nice man, very smart in his trade and seems to really care about the propagation of the species. On the subject of our soil here he replied.....\"Your soil sucks.....but you can still grow great ginseng\" LOL!

I am glad there is someone near me that is trying to raise it instead of steal it, mabye once I get my plot rolling we can get together and learn from our experiences.

Good luck Jim.

Re:Seed purchase for new grower 13 years 10 months ago #3772

I've ordered mine from wildgrown and had very good success, particularly this years lot.

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds

Who's Online

We have 329 guests and no members online

Login