2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Buying seeds

Buying seeds 8 years 10 months ago #35120

Hello everyone.
I am about to buy some ginseng seeds and rootlets. I have a few questions first that I hope yall can help me out with. If I buy the seeds/rootlets now will should I plant them? I was thinking in october or november.If I plant them in that time frame will they come up in the spring? Any suggestions on storing them in the period of when they come in and to when I plant them?
Thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Buying seeds 8 years 10 months ago #35121

I would pre pay like most folks and choose a fall shipment let the supplier take of them easier on you they have means to store Hugh amount and have experience in doing so. The host here has a good source of rootlets and his seed is very good with good germination rate I have had no issues from his product in the past 3 years, wish I had found him 6 years ago! You can find cheaper on the web but trust me cheaper is not better

Re:Buying seeds 8 years 10 months ago #35122

jspence42,
Take very seriously everything that sysbee has advised you to do. Wildgrown seed and rootlets have performed very well and I would put them up against any that are on the internet. The one thing that I would caution you about is storing seeds or rootlets. You are asking for possible trouble if you have to go this route. Try your best to be free on the day they arrive and get to the job immediately. The quicker, the better. That in it's self is the best advise that I can give to you.

I went to the mountains this morning and took pictures of plants that are starting their 4th year. If you choose good spots to plant in this will be the results you will get with Wildgrown seed.

Three prong plant starting on it's 4 the season.
Attachments:

Re:Buying seeds 8 years 10 months ago #35123

Two prong plant starting on it's 4th season. Both will set some berries this year.
Attachments:

Re:Buying seeds 8 years 10 months ago #35126

Great pics Mr. Hugh. Nice looking plants. From what you guys say, Wildgrown sells a good product. Was most of the plants up in the mountains?

Re:Buying seeds 8 years 10 months ago #35133

Good evening Gareth,
Yes, Wildgrown does sell a good product and there are a few others that sell good ones as well. Listen to the reports as they come in this Spring and where they bought them from, and it will put you on the right track. When someone says, \"I can't find any of the seeds that I planted\", then your ears better perk up.
There is not much of anything up above the 2500 ft. elevation here. It will take a few more days. We are coming up on the time of the year when we normally see Whippoorwill Winter, but I'm not sure it is going to be much of an affair this year.
By mid May, everything should be up and growing throughout all the mountains.

Hugh

Re:Buying seeds 8 years 10 months ago #35135

Thanks Mr. Hugh. I've been listening carefully to what everyone has to say about seeds. We've expierenced seed issues in what we do. Thanks for the update on the mountains. I figured it would be getting close.

Re:Buying seeds 8 years 10 months ago #35137

I can confirm what Hugh says about Wildgrown seed. I would estimate a 90% + germination rate on the stratified seed I bought from Wildgrown

Re:Buying seeds 8 years 10 months ago #35155

Thanks for all the great information, advice, and pictures. I will order my seeds from wildgrown on May 1st once they start taking orders for the seed and rootlet combinations. I will do my best to plant them as soon as they come in. I was wanting to plant them once the leaves started falling so that they seeds will get covered up better.
Great information! Keep it coming. Im trying to learn as much as I can about growing ginseng.

Buying seeds 6 years 5 months ago #40789

This is an old forum here but I have a question related to it. I have some rootlets coming in very soon, but may not be able to plant them right away. How do you best store them for 1-2 days before I can get them in? We have an old cement room under our garage and it's getting colder in MN here now, so that room is probably around under 50s for temp. Is that too warm, should i just put them in the fridge?

Any help appreciate, I am new to the ginseng. Just getting started with a wild sim patch in SW Minnesota this year!

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds

Who's Online

We have 94 guests and no members online

Login