2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Slugs, Bugs, Deer, Turkeys & Other Critters

Slugs, Bugs, Deer, Turkeys & Other Critters 8 years 9 months ago #35877

Hi,

Now that I know I can grow ginseng my next concern is how to protect it. If animals eat the leaves does it destroy the roots too or will the plants come up again next Spring? I am working on ideas for protecting the plants without actually fencing it off and being totally obvious. The plants on are the side of a hill so I have that to contend with too. What have you guys done to protect your plots?

Kind regards,
Doug

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Slugs, Bugs, Deer, Turkeys & Other Critters 8 years 9 months ago #35881

Hi Doug. Too large a topic to cover well in one post...
To answer ur question about whether or not the top of the plant being eat off affects the root The answer is.... It depends. Lol
First year plants that get eaten before mid summer are toast. Kiss them good bye. You see the growth bud for next year is usually formed \"but not fully developed\" by mid summer. Older plants may have enough energy stored in the root to develop next years bud without a top, but first year plants never do.
Even older plants will eventually die if they are repeatedly eaten off early in the growing season. If they aren't eaten off until late July, or early August, I really don't believe it hurts them at all other than slowing down the root growth...

About protection from predation....
Although it wont help with insect or slugs I believe that tree tops may be the best protection from deer, turkeys and two legged predators. Just cut and drag limbs from recently fallen trees and stack up in SMALL brush piles right on top of your patch. You want it thick enough to deter animals, but not so thick to completely block out the sunlight...

I have assumed that you are wanting to grow some version of wild simulated... lol (A whole other discussion).... IF you help it too much along the way then you will end up with cultivated looking roots...
Your objective is what will determine how much you should help it out....

Re:Slugs, Bugs, Deer, Turkeys & Other Critters 8 years 9 months ago #35882

Well said 5prong.

Doug129,
Some inexpensive ways to keep out deer etc. I have tried some and not others but I know those that have tried them all with some success.

Deer control:
1. Run heavy test fishing line around your perimeter of your plantings. Deer do not like it. Run it low, medium and high in the air using trees or stakes to string it around.
2. Shoot as many deer as possible during hunting season.
3. Save your piss and pour around planting perimeter often.
4. Moth balls
5. Scare Crows- Mover them around often.
6. Over the counter deer deterrent.

Slugs:
\"Sluggo\" or \"Deadline\"

Voles, mice and moles.
1.Store bought traps or home-made traps
2. Poison bait. (Be careful because you may poison something else accidentally)

Good luck,
Latt

Re:Slugs, Bugs, Deer, Turkeys & Other Critters 8 years 9 months ago #35884

Thanks 5 prong. That is great information. I am using wild simulated methods. Using branches sounds a whole lot cheaper than using little webbed tents over the plants.

Re:Slugs, Bugs, Deer, Turkeys & Other Critters 8 years 9 months ago #35887

I think the info above is well-said. I have a deer problem, and have an on-going battle with them. i use this little object that is sharp on one end and in a 8mm caliber. It's pretty loud but effective... LOL

it's an ongoing struggle.

i find that deer are repelled only temporarily by a given thing. my mauser seems to be the exception to that rule, tho.

Re:Slugs, Bugs, Deer, Turkeys & Other Critters 8 years 9 months ago #35890

A fine choice. I have a .308 AR10 that should work too.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds

Who's Online

We have 302 guests and no members online

Login