2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ohio ginseng

Re:Ohio ginseng 8 years 6 months ago #37368

jimsenger66 wrote:

Irishjewels wrote:

Thank you very much. Where do I find the prices on these and other roots?

I would like to know myself. One would think that some dealer here and there in each state would have contacts with overseas buyers that pay us a fair amount below the actual worth of special roots so they can still make some profit above just weight price. Seems around here they only pay for the roots at \"face value\" (weight) and never for what the unique ones are worth. I think they mostly want to pay the digger/grower just for the weight price of the whole lot brought to them and then they pick them (man roots, huge old roots, etc.) out and sell them for the big jack whilst keeping us in the dark.

I mean, if this wasn't the case, wouldn't there be dealers getting on here asking us to sell the unique roots to them?? Conspiracy, I say, conspiracy!

Hey Jimsenger,

You are making a couple assumptions there. The most notable is that there is actually 'actual worth' of special roots beyond the going market /weight price. Secondly, that there are 'special roots.' A third is that all lots are picked over by the dealers.

The larger, older, better handled roots have always been preferred. This isn't anything new. Secondly, as long as the roots are older, larger and handled well, they go for market price. Market price depends to some extent on what else must be bought with the high quality roots.

Of course percentages vary, but we know there will be about 7-8% fiber in ever lot/barrel of wild ginseng. If the price is $500/lb for a lot of 10 lbs, we have about .7 lbs which is only worth about $100 or less per pound. We have about 20% or more that are low/damaged. That is 2 lbs that is only worth about $150-160/lb. So, we paid $500 for 2.7 lbs or $1350 for part of that lot that is only worth about $370. We are down about $1000 for 10 lbs now.

We have 50-60% that is good average ginseng worth $500/lb. We have 7-10% that is a little above average (older or bigger all other characteristics good) and maybe 5-7% exceptionally well handled and large, old roots at the top end. You are right, these roots at the top are worth more than $500/lb. But how much more? Only as much as someone is willing to pay for them. If I am topping the cream roots off the top, that's about 6% or .6 lbs -and sell them for ...lets say $1000/lb twice the going market price. I'll receive $600 on the best of the lot or about $300 more than market for them. But, I'm still down about $700 on the lot. I still need to sell the rest of the lot -including the 2.7 at the bottom that is only worth $370 at a $500 average to break even.

Those diggers and small dealers who have been in the around longer know that you can't top the lots that way without losing on the bottom.

When you come to me as a digger, you want to sell your whole lot. Not part of it. Because if you sell the select roots to me or someone else, you are stuck with the less than desirable roots. It works the same for the average dealer. If you want to move the lot, you must keep it original and well handled, and look at the averages on the whole lot. I can live with making $30-50/lb on that 10 lb lot. I can't live with making $500/lb on the top and taking a $350 loss on the bottom though because there is more at the bottom than at the top. If the top isn't there, you don't break even on the bottom.

The big issue lately is buyers are only wanting the top stuff because there is so much of the low quality on the market. That makes it very hard for dealers to buy low quality ginseng for even close to average market, or pay high prices for high quality root because they can't move the average or low quality stuff at all.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Ohio ginseng 8 years 6 months ago #37374

BCastle wrote:

jimsenger66 wrote:

Irishjewels wrote:

Thank you very much. Where do I find the prices on these and other roots?

I would like to know myself. One would think that some dealer here and there in each state would have contacts with overseas buyers that pay us a fair amount below the actual worth of special roots so they can still make some profit above just weight price. Seems around here they only pay for the roots at \"face value\" (weight) and never for what the unique ones are worth. I think they mostly want to pay the digger/grower just for the weight price of the whole lot brought to them and then they pick them (man roots, huge old roots, etc.) out and sell them for the big jack whilst keeping us in the dark.

I mean, if this wasn't the case, wouldn't there be dealers getting on here asking us to sell the unique roots to them?? Conspiracy, I say, conspiracy!

Hey Jimsenger,

You are making a couple assumptions there. The most notable is that there is actually 'actual worth' of special roots beyond the going market /weight price. Secondly, that there are 'special roots.' A third is that all lots are picked over by the dealers.

The larger, older, better handled roots have always been preferred. This isn't anything new. Secondly, as long as the roots are older, larger and handled well, they go for market price. Market price depends to some extent on what else must be bought with the high quality roots.

Of course percentages vary, but we know there will be about 7-8% fiber in ever lot/barrel of wild ginseng. If the price is $500/lb for a lot of 10 lbs, we have about .7 lbs which is only worth about $100 or less per pound. We have about 20% or more that are low/damaged. That is 2 lbs that is only worth about $150-160/lb. So, we paid $500 for 2.7 lbs or $1350 for part of that lot that is only worth about $370. We are down about $1000 for 10 lbs now.

We have 50-60% that is good average ginseng worth $500/lb. We have 7-10% that is a little above average (older or bigger all other characteristics good) and maybe 5-7% exceptionally well handled and large, old roots at the top end. You are right, these roots at the top are worth more than $500/lb. But how much more? Only as much as someone is willing to pay for them. If I am topping the cream roots off the top, that's about 6% or .6 lbs -and sell them for ...lets say $1000/lb twice the going market price. I'll receive $600 on the best of the lot or about $300 more than market for them. But, I'm still down about $700 on the lot. I still need to sell the rest of the lot -including the 2.7 at the bottom that is only worth $370 at a $500 average to break even.

Those diggers and small dealers who have been in the around longer know that you can't top the lots that way without losing on the bottom.

When you come to me as a digger, you want to sell your whole lot. Not part of it. Because if you sell the select roots to me or someone else, you are stuck with the less than desirable roots. It works the same for the average dealer. If you want to move the lot, you must keep it original and well handled, and look at the averages on the whole lot. I can live with making $30-50/lb on that 10 lb lot. I can't live with making $500/lb on the top and taking a $350 loss on the bottom though because there is more at the bottom than at the top. If the top isn't there, you don't break even on the bottom.

The big issue lately is buyers are only wanting the top stuff because there is so much of the low quality on the market. That makes it very hard for dealers to buy low quality ginseng for even close to average market, or pay high prices for high quality root because they can't move the average or low quality stuff at all.

Ok Brad. That part all makes sense. Almost common sense. Question was where does one sell the exceptionally awesome roots like the one Irishjewels shared a photo of. I realize you need an balance of average high quality roots mixed with the lower quality roots overall. It's them ones the foreigners are paying thousands for per root that ia at question here. Who in the heck is getting the fat profit off them ones?

And, while we are on this other subject very relevant that I failed to ask about another time someone spoke of it; why are we asked (nearly demanded) to dig the entire root in perfect condition and then hear this talk of the fiber being so bad in the lot? That darn fiber is the brittle thin ends that will inevitably break off once super dry and make your pile of fiber, but we sellers get told we need to dig deep and get the whole root if and/or when we don't have the soon to be fiber attached. Confused. (and surely not the only one!)

Re:Ohio ginseng 8 years 6 months ago #37375

Good points.

First again you are assuming someone is paying thousands of dollars for a particular root. I've heard (and been offered) $75-100 for those exceptional ones, but they want them all to be OLD...not young and big, and they only want a few normally. So we are back to where we were in the beginning of my prior post.

As for the fiber question, there is more than one market. There is the high end market and the commercial market. Cultivated is much cheaper and there is a lot more of it. However, most of the root dug the past couple years is only commercial quality. That's the med-low end of the lot generally. If you don't have the entire plant, it will never make it into the high market, but it could always be higher quality and sold low.

So, handling is essential after they are dry. This is why I always suggest the little plastic shoe boxes from Walmart.

Re:Ohio ginseng 8 years 6 months ago #37378

Brad, So what about the person that digs only old roots and keeps them intact. In a 500 dollar market, what would those be worth? It sure sounds like everybody needs to stop digging undersized roots and start taking better care of them.

The thing that I don't understand is every dealer I have ever sold to dumps the roots in a big barrel or container and then stirs around looking through them. You know that all of those fiber roots are being broke.

Lenno

Re:Ohio ginseng 8 years 6 months ago #37380

Yes, I've seen and heard of that too...sickening to me. In my market, we try to be as careful as possible. I store roots in shallow tubs to keep them from breaking. We don't move them any more than necessary, and avoid excessive handling.

You have a valid point referencing someone who takes care of their roots and only digs the select roots. In my mind, that lot would be worth more than going market price. However, the guy who brings me broken up cut in half small roots has no right to be upset when he gets an offer of $100/lb in a $500 market.

Re:Ohio ginseng 8 years 6 months ago #37408

Is this a joke

Re:Ohio ginseng 8 years 6 months ago #37409

oakhunter27 wrote:

Is this a joke

don't buy young trash root simply that s it sick of being under paid because of novice diggers

Re:Ohio ginseng 8 years 6 months ago #37410

oakhunter27 wrote:

Is this a joke

don't buy young trash root simply that s it sick of being under paid because of novice diggers

Re:Ohio ginseng 8 years 6 months ago #37412

oakhunter27 wrote:

Is this a joke

No.

Re:Ohio ginseng 8 years 6 months ago #37430

You are so lucky...I havnt seen a wild ginseng in 30 yrs here.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds

Who's Online

We have 173 guests and no members online

Login