2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Planting ginseng

Planting ginseng 8 years 2 weeks ago #38097

My planting for this year is finished. About a third of an acre using 30lb to plant. I always post pics but it's the same ol, same ol. Just alot of bare dirt, then a bunch of seed, then it all covered in with straw. Soon it will be time to start maintaining it all once it emerges.

This is year 6 for me and my woods shows it. I probably have the cleanest most viewable woodland around.
Good luck to all.

Hillhopper

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Planting ginseng 8 years 2 weeks ago #38099

Too cool,
Same ol, some ol to some but would love to see pics of the woods all planted if you want to post it.

We are on our second week with temps like April. Supposed to be in the 60's and 70's for the next week. Wonder what this will do for plants and mushrooms? Who knows, all I know is it could be an early emergence for everything if the warm temps hold out. Or it could really mess things up if it gets really cold after stuff comes out early.
Latt

Re:Planting ginseng 8 years 2 weeks ago #38100

Latt,
Lol, I didn't mean to downplay it, just figured y'all were not interested in straw pics. I'll take a few next time I'm up there. Iv stained the straw to hide it until the trees leaf out. Maybe you can still tell a little about it.

We have a couple weeks like this and things will have to pop.

Hillhopper

Re:Planting ginseng 8 years 2 weeks ago #38101

Hill...

Congrats on getting that 30 lbs in the ground. I can't imagine getting that much planted.

Things are starting to pop already down here in southern TN... One of my Plum trees had 1 bloom open yesterday, and today around 15...

The earliest I ever found 3 leafers up was 3/18 and that is just 8 days from now.

For those reading this that don't know... below is what a 3 leafer looks like in the very early stages of rising up. Notice that there is another one that broke the new leaves off attempting to push it's way thru the leaf cover.

TNhunter
Attachments:

Re:Planting ginseng 8 years 2 weeks ago #38102

The picture on top was taken on 3/18 and the one on the bottom, 2 days later on 3/20.

TNhunter
Attachments:

Re:Planting ginseng 8 years 2 weeks ago #38103

It isnt easy. The cleaning and clearing starts in oct, leaf raking in january, varmint \"control\" for a couple weeks and then planting and covering. Each one of those steps takes 2 people about three days.

It won't be long now TNhunter. With this weather, we may very well see some early birds that have some Eastern exposure.

Hillhopper

Re:Planting ginseng 8 years 2 weeks ago #38104

sure nice to see some GREEN...

Re:Planting ginseng 8 years 2 weeks ago #38108

I sure hope ole man winter doesn't swing back thru and harm the new growth.

Re:Planting ginseng 8 years 2 weeks ago #38120

Chieftain wrote:

sure nice to see some GREEN...

Indeed! I hope this forum comes back to life in spring with pics from everyone.

I hope you have good outcome hillhopper, as well as everyone who's planted.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds

Who's Online

We have 408 guests and no members online

Login