2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Warm Days and Cold Nights

Warm Days and Cold Nights 8 years 3 weeks ago #38144

Hello all,

I have noticed that within the last couple of weeks a good amount of my seed has begun rooting under the mulch. I assuming this has been brought on by the unseasonably warm temperatures so far this year reaching the mid to upper 60's a few days a week for the past three weeks. However, at night it has been hovering right around 32 degrees sometimes below. I looked at the weather today and we are in the way of an approaching cold front (I live in central Illinois) with a few nights of temperatures dipping into the low 20's. Will these low temperatures hurt by rooting seeds? I do not yet have any with foliage and they are merely sprouting under a few inches of mulch. Should I add more mulch as a safety precaution? I have attempted to research this via books and internet searches but have found no information. Any information you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Warm Days and Cold Nights 8 years 3 weeks ago #38147

I would think they would be fine with no foilage. The ground temp under nature's mulch keeps a more steady temperature.

Re:Warm Days and Cold Nights 8 years 1 week ago #38242

I would say you could see some loss, but I'd bet there has never been a study on it. Maybe someone could do one.

The reason I say there could be a loss is because in the fruit world it works like this...the more fruit buds are open, the greater chance of loss.... (see link below). I know seng isn't fruit, but I'd have to believe there might be some correlation.

msue.anr.msu.edu/topic/apples/weather/cr...r_apple_blossom_buds

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds

Who's Online

We have 179 guests and no members online

Login