2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: root and plant top

root and plant top 7 years 9 months ago #38549

I transplanted a couple of my wild simulated ginseng plants a couple of weeks ago into a Folgers coffee container to put into a different woods. I put two 4 prongs into this temporary container but just haven't made it out yet to put them in the other woods. The one seng plant is doing well but the other one didn't do well so I pulled it out today. Here is a pic below of the first plants 5 to 6 year old root. I scrubbed it good with a tooth brush because I am going to eat it. But you can still see the wrinkles/rings somewhat.
The other green plant still doing well has a nice berry ball on it and the root is much bigger.
Latt

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:root and plant top 7 years 9 months ago #38550

And the plant top on the second plant

Attachments:

Re:root and plant top 7 years 9 months ago #38551

looking good....

Re:root and plant top 7 years 9 months ago #38552

Nice! Do you do anything to protect those berries as they start to turn or just rely on getting to them before everything else?

John B

Re:root and plant top 7 years 9 months ago #38553

Thanks Chieftain

John B, I just let mother nature take it's course. I have a lot of nice 4 prongs and a bunch of self seeded smaller plants. Many of the red berries get eaten each year by deer and other animals. But many of them evidently fall off and are self seeding. I wish I got more seed off them before the animals do but I do not do much to these wild simulated plants at this particular location.
Latt
Latt

Re:root and plant top 7 years 9 months ago #38555

Latt...

That is a nice looking root. Has some legs and looks like it's running. If you only had a couple of arms you would have a nice man root.

That is a nice top and excellent wad of berries !

PS... looks like you only have 4 toes on your left foot - is that from a a mis-whack with the old seng digger ? :-)

TNHunter

Re:root and plant top 7 years 9 months ago #38556

Lol TN, Nope got all 5 toes. My little toe was blocked by that leaf.
Here is a pic below from yesterday showing the new babies I have growing on our new land over in Eastern Ohio. We bought 13 acres of mixed hardwood on a slope built for a mountain goat.

These seeds came from down your way from a really good fella. Was glad to see these TN seeds doing so well in Ohio. Never planted anything from down south up here in Ohio. Pretty excited to thin them out in a couple of years by transplanting them all over the property. I have a bunch of it to move around. I planted it thick in a space about 15 feet wide and 100 feet long. Way too thick but I intended on transplanting them. So in the 15 x 100 foot spot I have many spots thick and some not so thick.In all of the spots where the leaf litter stayed in place it looks just like the pic. Where water and wind moved the leaf litter and the ground is bare there is nothing. Another good lesson learned.

I put my foot in there for scale. Ugly feet with white epoxy paint I can't get off of them. Eventually the paint will wear off but the ugly toes are here to stay.
Latt

Attachments:

Re:root and plant top 7 years 9 months ago #38610

Went to my magic spot this evening. Plants are doing well but continue to thin out. Still I have many nice ones. These are about 5 to 6 years old. I have some I planted in 2007 back in Eastern Ohio in clay soil and they are only 5 to 8 inches tall and small. Nothing like these big boys growing in rich dirt not to far from where I live now. They are well over 15 inches tall or more.

Latt

Attachments:

Re:root and plant top 7 years 9 months ago #38611

Borrowed this idea from Hillhopper with using my hat in the pic for scale. Just another couple nice ones in the woods tonight.
Latt

Attachments:

Re:root and plant top 7 years 9 months ago #38612

Nice healthy looking tops. I can't wait till September. I've been trout fishing the rivers here in east tn, but they're about dried up. We need some rain bad here.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds

Who's Online

We have 429 guests and no members online

Login