2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: root and plant top

Re:root and plant top 7 years 9 months ago #38613

Very nice Latt. Huge plants.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:root and plant top 7 years 9 months ago #38614

Latt...

Great looking big and healthy plants.

Looks like those need digging to me :-)

If I was seng hunting and found some that size I would sure harvest them.

I guess if they were growing here on my place I would just let them grow until perhaps we have one of those really good price years and then harvest them.

TNhunter

Re:root and plant top 7 years 8 months ago #38630

Well the other large plant in the Folgers can didn't get watered when we were away on vacation and it died. So I removed the second root from the container.

Anyway the root had 2 legs and one full size arm on one side and a thin water root for a right arm. It might have grew into a pretty interesting man root if I hadn't put it in a container.

Roots do not do well in plastic Folgers containers left in the shade without water now and then.

I needed a couple roots for consumption so I don't feel too bad about it.

Roots transplant well tho from one site to another. I had some nice results transplanting roots from one woods to another.

Good luck if you transplant.
Latt

Attachments:

Re:root and plant top 7 years 8 months ago #38631

dandy root right there...

Re:root and plant top 7 years 8 months ago #38635

Thanks Chieftain,
Not too bad for seed planted 5 years and 7 months ago.

Went to Muskingum County Ohio yesterday and looked at the plants where I planted seed in during the fall of 2009. They are doing well and thickly planted and are surprisingly free of disease. However, they have small roots and the 3 prongs are tiny.

This root in the pic above is from my best spot in West Central Ohio approx 90 miles from my spot in Muskingum County. The root in the pic above is probably 3 times bigger than my older spot where the roots and plants are tiny.

I may move all of the tiny roots this fall to a new spot we have. Could be quite a process as there are a bunch of them to move. On the other hand I may leave them there for someone to find 30 or 40 years from now after I am gone. They would certainly be excited to find that spot. lol

Latt

Re:root and plant top 7 years 8 months ago #38637

Very nice n plants latt. I have plants to move alit of my 5 yr olds this fall just not doing good n hope to improve there heath

Re:root and plant top 7 years 8 months ago #38638

Thanks Hobbler and everyone,
I have had good luck transplanting roots. I try to water each and every root in after I transplant them even if I am out in the deep woods. Will run up and down to the creek to fill up a milk jug or 2 and put at least a 1/2 to 1 cup water on each transplanted root. If it's raining or a great chance of rain I do not water them in. I try to put the root in the new spot so it fits in the new hole freely and not cramped with at least 1 to 2 inches of dirt covering the growth bud.

TN,
You seem to have great results with your seed bed transplanted roots. Any transplant tips?

Latt

Re:root and plant top 7 years 8 months ago #38639

I do alot of wild transplants latt n have good results with the 10 to 15 yr range. I planted 50 last yr n they all came up this yr. I transplant the ones that just aren't big enough but old enough with funky looks.

Re:root and plant top 7 years 8 months ago #38640

Wow Hobler, that's a good %.
Latt

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds

Who's Online

We have 370 guests and no members online

Login