2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2 year old with dual stems

2 year old with dual stems 7 years 8 months ago #38812

Found a two prong with root top protruding from the ground, dug it and planted a little deeper
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:2 year old with dual stems 7 years 8 months ago #38817

Too cool,
Never seen one that small producing 2 stems.
That root will be fun to watch over the years to come.
Latt

Re:2 year old with dual stems 7 years 8 months ago #38818

That is unusual...

But can't say for sure I would have noticed that. I would have just assumed it was two different plants... rather than those coming off the same root.

They can do odd stuff at times even when young I guess.

I had a nice 4 prong year before last that came up a 6 prong the next year with double berry stems.

Then this year I had a couple of nice 4's (last year) that came up with double 3 prong tops this year.

Out of the 40 or so roots I have in my seed bed usually 3 or 4 of them will change tops (somehow) from one year to the next.

TNhunter

Re:2 year old with dual stems 7 years 8 months ago #38819

I just want to thank you both on this site for sharing your knowledge. Believe it or not, you latt and tnhunter and quite a few more have turned me into a ginseng addict. Ive been growing for 4 years and had to definately change my growing style from the way i did it the first year. The first crop I planted 4 years ago I used the hankins method and had mediocre results only a small fraction came up, the second year I sprayed glyphosate the summer before i planted, and in the fall used a small mantis tiller just too barely break up the ground and then use the rake and scatter method, which in turn made my hill sides into a sea of green.I give them a dose of miracle grow the first year and alternate fungicide with aliette and captan. Thanks again Latt and Tnhunter

Re:2 year old with dual stems 7 years 8 months ago #38821

You are welcome Benny17 and thank you for the kind words.

I am glad to hear you are having success with the rake and scatter method as I have. I have never used any sprays or fertilizer in my rake and scatter plantings.

With that said, I have seen a sea of green too only to see them get hit with \"tip over\" etc in some of my plantings here and there and to see them disappear after the first year.

So to read what you are doing makes sense to me. I have seen ( In Person) the great results from others that are doing what you are doing and most likely you will have a lot of ginseng to show for it over the years.

There are some folks here on Wildgrown.com that are very successful with much more success than I have ever had. This is due to the fact that they \"Take care of their ginseng\" verses broadcasting the seed and walking away from it like I have done over the years only to see my plantings decrease in numbers year after year. If I have 10% left at year 10 I will be lucky.

What you are doing is not for everybody and that's OK.

However, if you want to have a better survival rate and something to show for your efforts in the end, then what you are doing will give you the best opportunity for that to happen.

Good luck and keep us posted over the years.
Love to see pics of those ginseng babies and their progress.

Latt

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds

Who's Online

We have 540 guests and no members online

Login