2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: white powder on stalk

white powder on stalk 13 years 7 months ago #4350

I was gathering seeds from my plants this weekend (good year so far). However about 10% of these plants had a white powdery substance on the stalk leading to the seeds (and on some seeds). Should I worry or is this normal?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:white powder on stalk 13 years 7 months ago #4352

I have had the same thing. I have noticed this over the years and it is no big deal in my opinion. If it gets really thick and builds up on the seed stems I will sometimes wipe it off with my fingers. Not sure, but I think it might be powdery mildew.

Re:white powder on stalk 13 years 7 months ago #4374

I've seen some of this this year, as well, and agree that it is probably powdery mildew from all the rain. Here it is, August, and I'm still having to mow my grass!

My seeds were looking great, until the squirrels or something started taking the entire seed stalk and berries! Dang tree rats! I guess that is what was doing it. Might have been rabbits, too. At least I harvest some seed from my seed patches, but only about 1/4 of what I should have gotten.

Re:white powder on stalk 13 years 7 months ago #4386

Joe we get it also and it's a small sucking bug that extrudes white fluffy stuff out of it's back as defence.
There tiny little buggers, no big deal unless you are invaded by them.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds

Who's Online

We have 353 guests and no members online

Login