2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Roots

Roots 13 years 8 months ago #4505

Once harvest, how do you store roots for later planting? How long can you store them if you don't want to plant until later?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Roots 13 years 7 months ago #4738

I really don't know the answer to this, but would think that you would want to plant them before the hair roots dried out. If you're determined that you have to wait I'd recomend storing them in some damp(not wet) peet moss in a cool environment until you can get them in the ground.

Re:Roots 13 years 7 months ago #4747

Thank you for your reply, Sprong. Once you harvest your roots and dried them out, how do you store them before selling them? I am very new to this.

Re:Roots 13 years 7 months ago #4748

I just keep mine in a paper grocery bag in a dry area where bugs arent going to get to them. Dried seng roots keep very well.

Re:Roots 13 years 7 months ago #4750

Thanks alot, Sprong, I will do that. How long do I keep the roots in the brown paper bag, a month, 3 months, or year? Can I keep them indefinately?

Re:Roots 13 years 7 months ago #4777

Check with your state laws. Here in ohio wild harvested ginseng must be sold by March 31st of the following spring. I think this is pretty typical of most states, but really don't know for sure. Kind of screwy law, but it's done to track how much ginseng is being dug on an annual basis.

Re:Roots 13 years 7 months ago #4785

I use the old paper grocery bag too, I keep the top open until I get to the point where I'm holding on price or etc to sell and I'm not adding to the bag, I'll then roll up the top (so nothing foriegn gets in) and poke lots of small air holes in the bag. But before you enclose your roots in anything makes sure they are extremely dry, any amount of moisture left in the root can cause mold even if you have air holes. When you know your seng is extremely dry you can probably put it in any sealable container, but I would stay away from plastic. I keep my souvenir roots in mason jars. One of these days when I feel I need a health boost I'll probably use some of them for personal use. I'm not sure how long you can store and what potentcy loss is during storage though. Good luck out there.

Re:Roots 13 years 7 months ago #4845

For roots that you want to replant, dont wash off the dirt, keep them in a ziplock bag in the fridge. Line the bottom of the bag with paper towels to collect extra moisture to prevent molding. Occasionally re-moisten roots if needed. They will keep this way for a good while. Several months is properly cared for.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds

Who's Online

We have 333 guests and no members online

Login