2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: planting

planting 15 years 6 months ago #485

Does anyone have any information on going ginseng in or near running cedar? There is no ginseng in there now but unfortunately a vast amount of the property I own has a lot of this stuff. There is no cohosh mayapple, but ground under the cedar looks good. New grower and hunter any help would be appreciated... thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:planting 15 years 6 months ago #489

As a general rule, sang does not do well around conifers. However, I have seen it growing fairly close to a hemlock when the rest of the area is hardwoods like maple, black cherry. I usually look for the other complimentary plants. They tend to like the same kind of conditions that sang does. What would hurt to plant a little and see how it does there?

Re:planting 15 years 6 months ago #501

Thank you very much for your reply. Ihave just started digging and I hope selling so I need to know everything!Is it better to separate the roots that look like people from the ones that look like turkey pooo....I read somewhere that some are getting 700.a pound or are going to get that much.I only got 340 for the first I sold , and have more. Can you fill me in on what I need to know, the roots were no damaged and dried on a screen in a dark room.Most were well over 10 years old so I was told. Thank again for your help

Re:planting 15 years 6 months ago #502

Hi Steeltrap,,,sounds like you got the going price at the moment. Another post said prices spiked last year in early November,,,so ya might wanna hold on to it till then?? We are gonna sit on ours to see what happens with price. What stste you in? Minnesota here,,,its pretty much over here,,with the cool night temps. We may get our first frost next week?

Re:planting 15 years 6 months ago #505

I have dug ginseng from cedar thickets before, but the ground was a healthy black or dark brown color. Cedar trees are a good indicator of limestone rock, and sometimes the limestone will hold rich soil on top of it. It would be much better if you had some other trees such as ash mixed in with the cedars.

I would follow the previos advice and plant about 100 seeds or so to get an idea of how well the plants may do in that area.

Re:planting 15 years 6 months ago #507

Hey Digger,I didnt know there was anything but snow in Minn.Just kidding I am from sw Va.,some hollows the sang will be yellow, the next it will be green with red berries still on them.Like I said this is my first year hunting the stuff and I think that I may be hooked.I do'nt know how much longer it last here.

Re:planting 15 years 6 months ago #508

Thanks for the help.The trees are maple, poplar and pine. The running cedar is a vine on the ground like va. creeper.It is very thick and dirt under it looks good. I didnt know if I was clear about it being a vine.Thanks again for your help..

Re:planting 15 years 6 months ago #514

Va creeper is actually a plant that I look for and often find in the same setting as sang. I am not familiar with running cedar. The maple are a good sign, poplar can be but, they will also grow in some pretty wet spots. I would be cautious around the pine.

Re:planting 15 years 6 months ago #515

Thank's for the help!!

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds

Who's Online

We have 299 guests and no members online

Login