2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Location, Light Exposure, Soil Type can make a HUGE difference

Location, Light Exposure, Soil Type can make a HUGE difference 13 years 7 months ago #5152

Hey Guys,

I had a great hunt yesterday and noticed something I wanted to share with you growers.

On yesterdays hunt I hunted down about a mile long hollow to the creek, then went around a bluff about 1/2 mile to the next hollow and then went back up that hollow to get back to my starting point.

Both of those hollows were about the same. They had north facing hillsides in old timber stands. There are no stumps visable so it has probably not been cut in at least 30-40 years. There was quite a bit of seng in both hollows but it was average to smaller sized segn with average to smaller sized roots.

Now when I went around that bluff - it faced due east. The plants there got good morning sun with some shade by the other stuff growing there but after about 12:00 they got no sun at all. The dirt where they were growing was just full of rock and some very nice organic matter (rotten leaves, etc) and man the Seng was BIG and healthy and had some HUGE roots.

Below is a picture I took this morning after studying the size and age of some of the roots I collected.

The 4 roots to the right of that 20.00 bill all have long neck stems and I counted the bud scars and they average around 22 years in age. They are the roots I found in those two hollows, in deep timber on north facing hillside.

The roots below and to the left of that 20.00 bill all have very short neck stems, and they are all between 6 & 8 years of age, big old ball roots.

I am sure going to fill that bluff area up with some stratified seed this winter.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds

Who's Online

We have 314 guests and no members online

Login