2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Seed Planter

Seed Planter 13 years 5 months ago #6880

I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere on the forum before, but can anyone recommend a type of hand planter that doesn't have wheels on it? This is the first year I have ever planted stratified seeds, and it was all done by hand. I only had around 1000, but it was sure a lot of work to get those in the ground. I planted those seeds in four different plots on my property, three of those areas has some ginseng alreay, the other area simply looked ideal for growing. I'm fairly certain I will get some to come up, so based on my results, I'm looking for a way to get the seeds in the ground more easily so I can up the amount I plant next year. Thanks everyone.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Seed Planter 13 years 5 months ago #6885

If you have your areas all cleared of brush and ready to plant. The Quickest way is to rake the leaves off of a 5'x however long bed you want. Then rough soil surface with a garden rake or a Hand cultivator(see link below). Then I hand drop the seeds onto the soil(4-5 per sq ft.). Then I walk over the bed to press the seeds into the soil and if I notice any seeds still on top of soil, I just poke them into the soil with a finger. Then rake leaves back over the bed.

This is pretty close to the Method that Scott Person uses in his Ginseng book.

I can plant a pound of seeds(7500 seeds) like this in about a day or day and a half.

I believe this method is quicker than any seed planter stick. And I usually get 85-90% germination rate.

Cultivator:
www.amazon.com/Ames-CULTIVATOR-GARDN-EXT-HDL/dp/B000FJQK4G

This is how my areas look befor I plant:

classicfur
Attachments:

Re:Seed Planter 13 years 5 months ago #6886

Classicfur, I appreciate a little of your knowledge with me. That sounds like a much easier way than me scratching a trench with my tool and planting them that way. If my math is correct, a pound of seeds at 5 seeds per square foot, needs an area of 1500 square feet. That's a pretty good size area. I'm done planting for this year, but next year I plan on going after it pretty good, especially if I see good results from what little I planted this year. The patch of woods I have here at the house has some wooly undergrowth. It's going to be a job clearing the space, but seeing 700-800 plants come up from seed I planted would certainly get me motivated! Thanks again!

Re:Seed Planter 13 years 5 months ago #6899

jacquo

I know for me, every year I look forward to the new seedlings coming up. But I get more excited about the older plants emerging and unfolding!

And Good for you, for getting 1000 planted and Not putting it off!

classicfur

Re:Seed Planter 13 years 5 months ago #6900

Classicfur, I was thinking yesterday evening that there's a lot of time left this year before it starts to freeze. I think I'm going to have a go at another planting. Starting this Saturday, there's an excellent chance of four days worth of rain here. I think after the rain is over, that would be an excellent time to get some seeds in the ground. I'm not going to get in any hurry on this project. I'm going to go out today and section off my plot, then order the quantity of seeds I need for that area. I'll probably starting clearing any brush or undergrowth after staking it off. I'll clear the leaves and cultivate the very top layer within the next day or two. Then I'll order my seeds and try your method. I may try and order a combination of seeds and roots this time. Thanks again for taking the time to share a little of what you know.

Re:Seed Planter 13 years 5 months ago #6902

jacquo

That all sounds good except for the part about raking the leaves off and cultivating.

I would not rake the leaves off and cultivate the soil until you are actually ready to drop the seeds onto the soil. The leaves form a protective barrier for the soil. And it keeps the soil from drying out.

Get all your clearing of brush done and then have your seeds in hand befor doing the rest.

classicfur

Re:Seed Planter 13 years 5 months ago #6922

Classicfur, I'll definately hold off cultivating until I have my seeds in hand. I learned a long time ago to pay attention to folks that have already been down the road I'm traveling.

I'm going to try and attach a photo of my plot. It's 20'x20', and I'm 99.9% certain I'll get growth here. Seng already grows wild in this area, all the companion plants are in the area, plus as I was clearing, there were ginseng pointers were all over the place. Once the rain starts here, I'm going to order my seeds. Thanks again for the help.
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds

Who's Online

We have 775 guests and no members online

Login