I got out today and did my first big planting of wild simulated seng. I used a slightly modified Hawkens method for this planting.
My first problem was when I went to treat my seed this morning 10% clorox solution like Scott's book recommends. Well the only clorox my wife had was a \"spring rain\" scented type. I was a bit worried about using that so made a trip to wal-mart and picked up some regular clorox. Got that part done. I am not sure if the seed I have has already been treated - it was not mentioned in the info I got with the seed, so I did a short treating just in case (5 minutes in the solution) then rinsed good.
Let me tell you something else I learned - it is very hard work ! And as usual I started off too big and did a planting area 100' long x 5' wide (4 rows cut 1\" deep) and spaced out 14\" apart.
Even though in fairly good shape (for a 49 year old) let me tell you this about whipped me today. I got started on site around 11:00 and finished up around 5 PM. I did the work alone and used regular garden tools, grubbing hoe, garden rake rake, leaf rake, to get it done.
Looking back I should have started out on a planting about half that size. If there were two working together it would not have been that bad, but it was too much for one person.
Here is a pic of my site before doing any major work. I had only cleared a few saplings out of the way at this point.
I did my best to space the seeds out 4\" apart in the furrows, but of course did occasionally mess that up a bit and at times dropped 2 seeds in one spot but kept on trucking trying to get it done.
After getting the 4 furrows full of seed I raked over the entire bed to cover the seed with about 1/2 of dirt and then I top dressed the bed with 8 lbs of bone meal (the good stuff with N/P/K rating of 0/10/0), and then also added 12 lbs of gypsum.
Then I made sure each furrow was filled up to the top and then walked up and down each one to compress the dirt around the seeds.