2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Thoughts from anyone on soil

Thoughts from anyone on soil 13 years 5 months ago #7085

I have a spot i have prepared for planting. I received my soil results back and wondered what everybody's thoughts might be.Good NE slope, mixed hardwoods but primarily Poplar.I didnt know if the ph could be a hair high or if I should just leave it alone. Everything else seems pretty good I think. Anyways here are the results and any input will be appreciated.

Nitrogen was not listed in test results
PPA = pounds per acre

PH 6.8
PHOSPHOROUS 708 PPA
POTASSIUM 242 PPA
CALCIUM 9068 PPA As you can see we have alot of limestone here
MAGNESIUM 548 PPA

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Thoughts from anyone on soil 13 years 5 months ago #7088

hillhopper

All your numbers are higher than what is usually found in woods soil. But that may not be a bad thing.

Phosphorous should be minimum 95ppa

calcium levels 3000ppa(moderate) and 5000ppa(good) These were levels found around wild plants. Perhaps above 5000ppa is better but I'm not sure. All these numbers are higher than the soil test I've had done. But you are not lacking in nutrients.

I would have some concern about the PH, but you are on the border of the high end.

Here is something from the ginseng book by Persons:

\"An excess of commercial fertilizers or lime can raise the soil ph too high, and a high ph is associated with ginseng root rot. Where the ph is in the range of 5.0-6.7, the nutrients that ginseng needs are available and bacterial diseases are frustrated, leaving only fungi to threaten the plants.\"

Here's some from Kimm Pritts book:

\"different plants require different ph ranges in order to efficiently use nutrients from the soil. In ginseng cultivation, the proper ph will influence root shape, size, and weight. Ginseng likes a slightly acidic soil, which is the normal condition of woodland soil under many deciduous trees. A ph below 5.5 or above 6.5 can often curtail root growth. Most growers recognize a ph of 5.6 to 5.8 as ideal.\"

\"Soil ph can be altered through amendments to bring it into ginsengs prefered range.....If the soil is too sweet(ph too high)to grow ginseng successfully- a rare problem in woodland gardens - leaf and bark compost usually have a mild acidifying effect on soil and can often offer a slight correction. Aluminum sulfate and sulfer are also good soil acidifiers.\"

If I were you, I would give it a try, but don't plant too big the first year. And see how well they do.

goodluck!

classicfur

Re:Thoughts from anyone on soil 13 years 5 months ago #7089

That is what I was thinkin on the ph. Just before the leaf fall this year I amended the soil with sulpher but i'v read it takes warmer temps and a few weeks to break down in the soil and go to work so i figure i'll take another sample in next summer and see where i stand then. I probably will go ahead with my planting and play it by ear after that. I left the sulpher off of 1/4 of my plot to see if they will be any variance later on. Thanks for the input classicfur and i'll be sure to post the results of difference between the two areas so anyone else will know if they run into this as well.

Re:Thoughts from anyone on soil 13 years 5 months ago #7559

Hillhopper,
That sounds like some really great soil. I read once where many experts say you cannot have too much Calcium. One expert said it is more important than PH levels in his opinion. Like Classicfur said the PH is still close to the desired range on the high end and I bet you get some great healthy roots!!!

Re:Thoughts from anyone on soil 13 years 5 months ago #7563

Hillhopper,

In the average woods here on my property the ph runs around 5.4/5.7 (based on two soil samples I had done) but the calcium levels run around 1400-1000).

Ginseng grows there but it does not get big. A foot tall 3 prong with 1/4 oz (or smaller) roots are common and that is true of plants/roots that are 20-25 years old.

But now down near the main creek there is a spot that has a 200' limestone bluff and the bottom 1/3 of that bluff there is soil there that is just chocked full of limestone rock flakes and dust and rock pieces.

I managed to crawl my way up on that bluff this fall and WOW what I found there was seng that was VERY different than the average woods seng.

Here is a pic of one of the roots - fat, bulby, and not very old either. I found several like that and they were all in the 6-8 year old range. Notice all the root hairs (very healthy) and notice the soil.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:Thoughts from anyone on soil 13 years 5 months ago #7564

Here is what the tops looked like.

Big and Healthy looking and big full berry pods too.

I planned to get back down to that bluff (about a 2 mile walk for me) and plant some seed this fall/winter, but so far have not made it. I have planted a pound and half of seed but just have not made it down to that bluff to plant yet.

When I do make it back down there I plan to get enough of that soil for a soil test.

It will be interesting to see how it stacks up on all points compared to my average woods soil.

I would not doubt that it comes back very similar to yours - with at least very high calcium levels and possibly a much higher ph than the average woods soil ( you would think so with all of the limestone rock in the soil ).

One thing is for sure - very healthy ginseng grows there.

Classic fur has pointed out that that bluff may be one of those odd places where the calcium is very high, but PH is also low. Possible - but only a soil test will tell us that for sure.

I am out of seed now, and may not get to plant anymore until after Holidays.

We are going to Walt Disney World for Vacation Dec 17-23 and have to get Christmas Shopping done early, and with Thanksgiving and all the family stuff comming up not sure I will get to plant any more seed until after Christmas.

If I can get more seed then, I will do my best to get down to that bluff and get that soil sample, and plant some seed there.

I will be sure to report back here on that soil test.

TNhunter
Attachments:

Re:Thoughts from anyone on soil 13 years 5 months ago #7565

Bad news my friends, I had posted earlier my seed shipment was on the way but now I have heard the lot my seed was to be shipped from is diseased with a fungus and they can't ship it now, on top of that they are out of seed completely. I would assume all that might be available now is the seed well over $100 per pound. If anyone knows who might have reasonably priced seed left please let me know.
Thanks,
Hillhopper

Re:Thoughts from anyone on soil 13 years 5 months ago #7566

Hillhopper,

Both TNhunter and myself have purchased seed from Hardwood Ginseng. They have a website, plus he sells lots on Ebay. He's very reasonably priced, plus he does float tests on his seeds and treats them with a bleach solution before he sends them out. He also will package extra seeds just to make sure the quantity you purchase are all good seeds.

I'm adding one thing I forgot to mention. I had a plot that needed an exact quantity of seeds, so I emailed him, and he was more than happy to put together a custom order for me and a good price. If I have good germination, and no disease issues, I would have no problem buying from him again.

Re:Thoughts from anyone on soil 13 years 5 months ago #7590

Hillhopper

I to have bought seed from Mike Dammen at Hardwood Ginseng Co. Mikes email address is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I bought 6 lbs last year and 3 lbs this from him this year. The seed is great. Larry Harding from Hardings Ginseng Farm in Friendsville MD has some great seed as well in my opinion and I have bought seed from larry for the past 3 years too.

Re:Thoughts from anyone on soil 13 years 5 months ago #7609

I knew about Larry but I haven't dealt with Mike before. I'll give him a try.
Thanks
Hillhopper

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds

Who's Online

We have 416 guests and no members online

Login