2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: My Season So Far.....

My Season So Far..... 13 years 4 months ago #7280

Hello Every Body.Jughead Here.I'm new to the Board.I've only been Hunting a Couple of Years.Just got into it since my Uncle moved back from Oregon 4 Years ago.I've grew up around Sang Hunters all my life but never got the chance to Hunt myself because of work.I worked in the Tobacco Patches up until a few Years ago but now work on the local lake as a Handyman for the Rich folks.
Well last year between me and my Uncle we found almost 5 Ounces Dried.Then I ordered 1 pound of seed to plant.Out of that pound i think we only go 1/2 pound in the Ground.I've checked all of our spots and None of it came up.Oh well i guess that's how it goes.
This year..... Well it didn't start out too good.I had a couple of Druggies come in and dig Approximately 4 wet Pounds out of a wild patch behind my house.They made off with 2 pounds the first day but the Game Warden caught them the second day with the other 2 pounds.It was a shame because it was some really nice roots.i was going to save the seed and replant it around and try to get a good start on alot of wild stuff.they didn't care though they were just looking for another fix and maybe a six pack of beer.At least they didn't find the Mother Plant.I did dig it and dry it just in case they come back next year after everything blows over.The rest that was Around the mother Plant I just cut off the tops.What berries I got I took to work and planted them where I could Keep an eye on them while i'm working.Back to the Mother Plant.It took me over 2 hours to dig.The top was a 4 Prong and was about waist high.The stem was as big around as a Cigarette.The root was growing up under a Poplar tree.It only weighed 2 3/8 Ounces wet and isnt fully dry yet.
Planting.Well I have around 600 Seed in a bed.200 more seed to plant later this week and around 150-160 1 year roots in a couple of beds.I was hoping to plant more this year but have too much on my plate right now due to work.In all i would like to get 10 acres in the ground on my Uncles place in the next few years.My cousin tells me i'm crazy and I'm just planting it for everyone to steal.I told him that it's going to have to be an army to steal it because I'm probably gonna fall over Dead before i get it all in the ground.lol

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:My Season So Far..... 13 years 4 months ago #7283

That is one lofty goal if you want to eventually get 10 acres planted. Unless you planned on growing seng full time, that would be a lifetime worth of work for most folk. I wish you luck on your ambitious project.

As for security, I think that's a topic that concerns most growers on here. The only way I know to have your patch safe is to either have it right next to your house, or patrol your patch constantly. The best advice I can give you is don't let people know what you're doing. If a couple of meth heads could get to your patch that easily, then I would look for another spot. I have some of mine in places that aren't easy to get to. A person just can't park their car and walk in the woods and start digging. You either have to go through open fields on three sides of it, or on the other side you have to go through peoples houses, through a mile of woods behind their houses, over several fences, and past my shotgun before you reach mine.

Re:My Season So Far..... 13 years 4 months ago #7284

Also, I want to say I'm sorry you're having a rough time right now. It's a shame that people are out there like that. As far as growing seng, check this site and all the threads in the growing section. There are some incredibly knowledgeable people that have terrific information to share. There's also good literature out there when you decide to get serious. Good luck!

Re:My Season So Far..... 13 years 4 months ago #7320

Actually Jacquo.They wouldn't have gotten it if i had been at home.Maw and paw knew what they were doing and let them go right to it.:angry: The next day i came home on break from work while they were in the woods diggin the second pound.Dad ran me off because he knew i would wind up in Jail.I was going to give them a chance to drop what they had and walk away.good thing i left though someone spotted them and called TWRA.:lol: Wish i had been there to ask the agent if i could take the roots and try to replant them and try to save them.oh well thats how it goes.

Re:My Season So Far..... 13 years 4 months ago #7328

jughead,

What a shame, that people will steal. I hope you are able to protect your plants in the future. What kind of trouble did the thieves get in when the game warden caught them?

There is a way to mark your roots, talks about it in Scotts book. It is a dye you can put on your roots and then if they are stolen they can tell whos they are.I also have cameras and motion alarms around my ginseng.

Good luck, Lenno

Re:My Season So Far..... 13 years 4 months ago #7377

I think a $500 fine each and Seng Hunting Privileges revoked for a Year.I was hoping that they couldn't pay their fines and have to pull some Jail time.A girlfriend Bailed one out and the Parents Bailed the other out.:angry:
Oh Yeah i'll be keeping a close eye out on them.I have ever since.they know that they aren't welcome up here now.If anyone shows up to Deer or turkey hunt I'm going to send them the other way.I can pretty well keep an eye on it there is only one way in and Out but Car where i live unless they come in by foot the back ways.I'm going to talk to a fellow that owns 50+ acres above me and see if he will lease his land to me to grow seng.that way i can keep an eye on everything and not have my patches scattered all over the place.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds

Who's Online

We have 636 guests and no members online

Login