2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Planting ginseng seed

Re:Planting ginseng seed 13 years 4 months ago #7948

TNhunter

I have been planting 4-5 seeds per sq ft. Of course as I'm planting, it's never that precise, but it's close.

After 3-4 years the plants probably average 2-3 per sq ft. But like I said, it's not that precise when I broadcast seeds. Some areas have 1, some 2, some 3, and a few 4 per sq ft. I would rather have a bed that is full of plants but not crowded instead of a bed that has some bare spots with very few plants growing in some areas. If I find some plants that are crowded, I transplant them to a new spot after the second year. And I find pleasure in taking the time to tranplant a few and have the beds more evenly spaced. I think the 4-5 seeds per sq ft is the best seeding ratio.

Back when I started, I had a couple of years that had poor germination. Since then, I have come up with a method that has good germination and utilizes the planting spaces well. 4-5 seeds, like scott says works the best for me.

Good luck with your planting!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

God Bless

classicfur

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Planting ginseng seed 13 years 4 months ago #7969

Ginseng seed prices are nuts. Up to $120 to $150 and higher per pound IF you can find it. I can buy 10 lbs for $850 and I have to order it by tomorrow. I really only wanted 3 lbs but at $85 per pound I might bite the bullet and buy all 10 lbs as this opportunity is hard to pass up.
Latt

Re:Planting ginseng seed 13 years 4 months ago #7970

Latt,

Yep the place I have been getting seed is only selling small packs now (1000 seeds) at 20.00 - which includes shipping.

I ordered 3 of those for 60.00 and it arrives packed in a ziplock bag and weighs 7.2 oz.

At that price it would be around 140.00/lb

Earlier he was selling 1 lb for 85.00 but no more.

He told me in a email that he likes to keep some seed for selling later in the year (Feb, March) when other suppliers are usually out so he may be going up soon on that 20.00 for 1000 seeds if his supply starts running low.

I have planted nearly 2 lbs this fall and really enjoyed it.

It is good to get out and get some good exercise and enjoy the bueaty of the woods during the winter months. I hope his supply of seeds last until March. If it does I may order 3000 or so seeds on weeks when we have rain in the forcast and I have a Saturday free.

If I can find seed I may get another pound or two planted before spring.

I planted around 3-4 oz this evening and it sure was a nice evening to be out in the woods. Worked off some of that Turkey, Dressing, Creamed Potatoes, rolls, pecan pie, etc.. Too.

TNhunter

Re:Planting ginseng seed 13 years 4 months ago #7974

As of dark today, i have seven pound planted for the year. You talk about a rake kickin a man's tail end. Anybody interested in seed can e-mail me because I may have more than necessary for the area I prepared this summer. I'v hit an area that only has a couple inches over solid rock on a steep grade and even if a really hard downpour don't slide the dirt off then im nearly certain ginseng wont grow there in hot, dry weather. I will know for sure in a couple weeks since it's back to work monday and my planting will slow up until next weekend. I will let em go per pound for what I have in them plus shipping and smaller amounts will be a little more... and Latt, gimme about another year and we can fix this sky high seed problem when my beds really start puttin on the seeds.

Re:Planting ginseng seed 13 years 4 months ago #7976

Hillhopper
I just sent you an email. Sounds like you had a great day in the woods.
Thanks,
Latt

Re:Planting ginseng seed 13 years 4 months ago #7994

Classicfur,
How much seed do you think you get back per pound of seed planted? I know you have some plants that are old enough to produce seed now. I was just curious as all of my planting beds are only 1 to 3 years old and these are no where near old enough or big enough to produce seed yet. At what age did you start to see seeds come on for your wild simulated plants? I hear cultivated ginseng can start producing seed at 3 years old. I bet wild simulated does not start to produce seed until they are at least 5 years old or more.

Re:Planting ginseng seed 13 years 4 months ago #7995

Not tryin to jump in front of classicfur but I have read that a conservative estimate would be seven pound of seed return per pound planted. Myself, even after a possible low germination rate and predation from animals, I see it being as more even for wild simulated after it has a little age on it but it may not be.

Hillhopper

Re:Planting ginseng seed 13 years 4 months ago #8000

Hillhopper,
I have heard similar numbers. If this would be the case I would be very happy. Can you imagine getting 140 lbs of seed off of 20 lbs of seed planted. If one were to get their license it would be possible to sell that seed and profit $10,000 to $14,000 or more on seed sales per year. I have to believe this is possible to get 7 lbs of seed per 1 lb planted on cultivated ginseng. I bet wild simulated is lower thou. I guess time will tell. I would be happy with 3 or 4 lbs of seed per 1 lb planted.
Thanks,
Latt

Re:Planting ginseng seed 13 years 4 months ago #8004

I have some here around the house that I transplanted a few years back and some of them aren't that old but every year they will have 25 to 30 berries with two seed per berry. Which they have been placed in loose soil since they were transplanted but nothing else to help them grow. If only half your plants survived to six or seven years and produced half that amount of seed and the birds and deer eat half of those then that is still 6.25 pound. I would say a person could probably bank on seven pound!

Re:Planting ginseng seed 13 years 4 months ago #8016

Sorry to burst yer bubble but cultivated seed goes for 10 - 15 dollars per pound green and 20 stratified. Thats 1400 dollars.

guy

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds

Who's Online

We have 369 guests and no members online

Login