2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Removing flower beneficial for root growth

Re:Removing flower beneficial for root growth 13 years 4 weeks ago #9388

I am glad to hear of a market for the blossom/tops. One day, I would like to be not only self-sufficient in production of seeds, also to include selling leaves/blossoms.

I had heard that there was a market for tops and leaves to the makers of gensing colas, and some herbal suppliment makers... However being a relative newbie to this, am not real sure if there are purchasers.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Removing flower beneficial for root growth 13 years 4 weeks ago #9389

Hillhopper

Your right! There is no hard facts about clipping blossoms. But I will keep track of all the details and through testing I will find out whether it is worth it or not. It's just a bummer that everything takes so long to figure it all out.

Snails! Thats alot! It's good you applied Deadline early. I'm sure they would have done some heavy damage. Especially on seedlings.

I Started applying the Deadline last week. I noticed a few slugs under the mulch along with a few eggs. I actually found one small slug wrapped it's self around a seed and the little root was eaten off. I shoved that little booger about three inches down into the soil with the end of a stick. Those slugs could wipe out thousands of seeds if not dealt with.

After killing slugs off with deadline for a few years now, they are not such a big threat. But if I treat every bed just to be on the safe side. I have also started spreading deadline after planting the seeds and before covering with mulch.

Can never be too Safe!

classicfur

Re:Removing flower beneficial for root growth 13 years 4 weeks ago #9390

Classicfur,
Do the hard shell snails eat ginseng like the no shell slugs do?
Thanks,
Latt

Re:Removing flower beneficial for root growth 13 years 4 weeks ago #9391

Latt

I think any snails or slugs that are in your seng beds will eat the soft plant tissue. There is more threat to seedlings and 2 and 3 yr old plants.

The sad part is that they could be munching on the seedlings under the mulch before they emerge. A seedling cannot tolerate very much damage in order to kill the seedling. If slugs and snails are under the mulch, they are doing damage and you will not know it unless you start checking under the mulch before they destroy a large amount of seedlings.

For my area they are a huge threat unless you keep them under control. The sceret is to take action before they start doing damage. The sooner the better.

classicfur

Re:Removing flower beneficial for root growth 13 years 4 weeks ago #9392

Latt

Here is something from Kim Pritt\"s Ginseng book. He says:

\"Slugs and snails are common land mollusks that find ginseng seeds quite appetizing. They will crawl under the mulch and happily eat the core out of every seed they find. Slugs also feast on the necks or buds of ginseng roots that stick above ground level. They do not dig, so anything buried is relatively safe. They are enough of a threat, however, that most commercial growers place slug bait poison out before seeding.\"

I have found that slugs have done more damage to my seedlings than to older plants. I have found that Deadline placed on the bed after seeding and before mulching works well. The deadline is still under the mulch seven months later when I check under the mulch in the spring.

classicfur

Re:Removing flower beneficial for root growth 13 years 4 weeks ago #9394

Great post.
I wish I would have done this when I planted to get the Deadline under the leaf litter. I guess better late than never thou. I will be applying some ASAP to the top of the leaf litter.
Thanks,
Latt

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds

Who's Online

We have 468 guests and no members online

Login