2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Rain and Ginseng seed

Rain and Ginseng seed 13 years 4 months ago #7846

TNHunter,
Nice Pics!I love this technique and this is how I plant as well. This time of year I go around and collect MULCHED leaves from my neighbors. You have to see the look on their faces when I am taking the bags of mulched leaves that they are trying to get rid of. And I only take the ones that have mulched them. I had put about 20 - thirty gallon bags of mulched leaves on my seed bed and it really holds the moisture in. I am convinced this is the way to go. This weekend may be the last of the leaves up here. So I am going to stock up and when I plant my next 10 lbs here in the next month I am going to do what you did and put them down over the seeds before I rake the whole leaves back over top of the bed.
I really think the little pieces of mulched leaves layered about 2 to 3 inches thick will really keep the soil perfect and avoid letting air circulate through the fluffed up leaves which dries the ginseng seeds out. I spent about 3 hours researching Leaf mulch and leaf Compost the other night. Whole leaves can take a year to 2 years or longer to decompose. Mulched leaves will decompose turning in to a nice compost in less than a year if conditions are normal. Oak leaves are great too and are exceptional for providing minerals and can be used ONLY when mulched. What a deal, free mulch and compost all in one and it is a natural mulch and compost for ginseng.
Thanks,
Latt

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds

Who's Online

We have 194 guests and no members online

Login