2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Advice on soil results.

Re:Advice on soil results. 13 years 3 months ago #8252

Found a interisting article below on the clark.wsu.edu site (Washington State University) on ginseng and nutrition.

clark.wsu.edu/horticulture/Ginseng/Chpt04/nutrition.html

It showed a increase in root rot of 10% where the PH changes from 6.0 to 6.5.

==
High soil pH
In areas east of the Cascades, growers should test for high pH soils. On clay sites, a soil pH of 6.0 produced 20% root rot in ginseng. At pH 6.5, 30 % root rot was found. Chapter 4: Site preparation reviewed the use of elemental sulfur to lower high soil pH.
==

But it does say those results were observed on \"Clay Sites\".

It could be that ginseng will do just fine with PH up in the 6.5-7.0 range as long as you have the proper nutrients (high calcium level) and a soil type that reduces root rot possibility - like sandy, rocky, loam, something that drains well.

On the limestone bluffs around here I find very healthy ginseng growing and the soil is just loaded with lime stone rock chips and dust (which you would think would produce a higher PH), but that soil is also very well drained which would eliminate the root rot.

Here is a sample root and notice the rocky soil it was growing in and how healthy the root was (loaded with root hairs) and it had a big healthy 4 prong top with a big wad of berries too.

Classicfur - I got my 1/2 lb seed in yesterday - going to plant it Friday/Saturday. Will do my best to make a trip down to that bluff where harvested the root above and get a soil sample. I want to see what the calcium level is there and what the PH is too. It will be interesting.

TNhunter
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Advice on soil results. 13 years 3 months ago #8253

TNhunter

It will be interesting to hear the results. I have a hunch that the calcium will be high and the ph will be on the low side like in bob beyfus study.

classicfur

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds

Who's Online

We have 228 guests and no members online

Login